1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear passenger door intermittently won't latch?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priusfaster, Aug 21, 2023.

1. priusfaster

priusfaster New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Had an issue this morning dropping off a kid at school where the door slammed closed but didn't actually latch closed. It took several tries and locking/unlocking the door to get it to stay closed. There was nothing blocking the door.

This hasn't happened since, and I tried to manually make it happen again by myself and couldn't. Anyone else experienced this problem?

2. Jim Call

Jim Call Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    We've had it happen once. The rear passenger door accidentally got slammed pretty hard and bounced back before the electronics could latch the bar. We were able to close it after a few seconds when it reset itself.....no big deal. Not sure why it took so long for yours to reset.....

3. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Maybe time to remind some people that they should buy their own Gen 5 Prius if they want to slam doors. Other option is not viable: removing doors so they can't be slammed.

4. 2023p

2023p Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    When they got out, they may have accidentally (or a strap of a back pack) hit the safety lever on the door frame. Had same thing happen myself and toggles it.. solved

And it's possible you may have accidentally put it back into place (if this was even the problem) while trying to figure it out.

Looks like a black small lever lt pin that has maybe and inch or half inch of play to move into two settings, or maybe it resets a setting. I forget.

But had same exact experience of door mysteriously not shutting after getting out of rear. Fixed when I played with the lever a bit, like a monkey.