1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

rear passenger side - Brake Pad Shift (Clunking,Clicking) Noise

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by davidw8818, Feb 26, 2016.

1. davidw8818

davidw8818 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The car is under 25k miles. I have owned for less then 2 years. Recently, I notice a noise coming from the rear every time backing out the drive way. The sounds louder in the winter**. I have gone to 3 different dealers and non of them offered a remedy. Some say they cant reduplicate the issue so I scheduled a test drive with a tech. Was able to duplicate the issue, however the tech says its normal ( pad shift over time) and told me alot of the newer carmy has the issue.

I'm exhausted from going dealer to dealer and no remedy issue. They all said the same thing "its normal & theres nothing they can do".

does anyone on here has the issue and got it fixed through the dealer? if so, please tell me how to get the dealer to fix it.

My car is still under warranty...is the padshift issue consider "wear & tear under the warranty"? should i contact Toyota corporate to have the look into it?

2. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    is it one side or both side? if you can, I would remove the rear pads and inspect it yourself and also lube up the sliding pins, and check that the pads are sitting on the caliper piston.

Don't know if anyone else has this issue... hopefully someone who does can chime in on this.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The rotor can be semi-frozen/rusted on the hub, or not. If the latter, it's got about 1/16" it can shift back and forth, the play of the studs in the rotor holes. It can make a bit of a clunk when you shift direction, the studs clunking against the rotor hole walls. Might just be that, ie, normal.

Also, just for giggles, to make sure the rear brakes are behaving: raise the rear of the car, enough to get the wheels clear of the floor. A floor jack under the rear central jacking point is the most efficient/easy way to do this.

Ensure the parking brake is released, and try spinning each wheel. There will likely be a slight drag, but not much, if things are normal. Also eyeball the disks with a good light: are they relatively smooth/clear looking, no scoring.

4. Stangar

Stangar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Guess what? It is normal and most do it. It's the pads. If it's like mine, you hear it in the morning when you first start out and then it's probably not there the rest of the day. More noticeable when it is colder and after the car has been sitting for awhile. You can lessen it a little by buying new pads but, at your mileage I'm not sure it would make a difference.

Every car has its little annoyances and you get used to it. Call it a "lovable feature". It used to bother me a little and after I found "they all do that", I was okay.

My 2004 Honda Accord has a funny noise when the engine is hot at idle. You can only hear it in the garage and it sounds like an exhaust noise. Can't hear it outside the garage. After considerable research, I found "they all do that".

GTprii likes this.