1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear running lights are intermittent

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mike Dupont, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Mike Dupont

Mike Dupont New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi everyone, I was informed by a neighbor today that both of my rear lights are out, turns out it's not the bulbs though.

After screwing around, pulling the wrong bulb, etc... I closed the trunk with a bit more umph that usually which promptly brought them both on again. The turn signals work fine, the brake lights work fine, the back up white lights look good. So here's what I know or can deduce:
    1. It's not the fuse.
    2. The bulbs are fine.
    3. It must something else.
    Any ideas as to what the something else could be? Has anybody had similar issues? A loose wire would seem likely but I really don't know where to begin following that line of inquiry. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Mike Dupont

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The metal contacts on the bulb and or bulb socket may have some corrosion. Pull the bulbs and take a pencil eraser or some fine emery sandpaper to the contacts. Then put some dielectric grease on them and reassemble.

SCH-I535

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    FWIW, those bulbs don't cost a lot, are easy to replace and will blink out and then come back on.

I would bet if you put in two new bulbs that the problem will go away. Had the same thing on ours, light constantly on and off. Pull bulb, wiggle wires, bang on light the bulb would light up. When I broke down and put in a new one, the problem went away. Those lights have been burning bright now for over a year.

Try the Sylvania 2825LL bulbs - those work the best for me.

4. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Those should be a wedge type base so make sure they're fully inserted into the socket. You will feel a snap when they are in all the way.

5. Takeshi_Ito

Takeshi_Ito New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the bulbs and the fuse are fine, first clean the bulb mounts of rust and dust. Test it with a working bulb. If it does not come on, test the mount terminals for continuity and voltage supply.