1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear seat belt retrator coil spring virbration

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Toppcat, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Toppcat

Toppcat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My hearing is very sensitive! I pin pointed a consistent virbration in the rear L & R pillars! Using a rubber mallet on the tires you can hear the recoil springs virbration s and for me I hear the back center seat retractor recoil spring vibrating! Going address this with the dealership for updated fixes, or I have to fix this myself. Anyone had this issue? I have taken the rear seat apart and welded reinforment bracket to stabilize the retractor, but the coil spring virbrates.even w the JBL system turn up i can hear the retrator coil spring vibrating distorting the music! Yes I have very good hearing!

2. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I doubt the dealer will replace such items under warranty. I think the best solution for your seat belt retractor will be to cover it with material that insulates it.

On my 2010, non-Plug-in Prius, the biggest source of vibration by far was the spare tire. I wrapped it in inexpensive felt and it made a huge difference.

3. Toppcat

Toppcat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah I kind of figure that ! When I was a auto tech we did it as a goodwill it didn't resolve it! I am planNing to drill a small hole into the plastic coil housing and inject dielectric silicone grease to isolate the coil but also allowing the coil to operate freely. In theory it should work!

4. Juba79

Juba79 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Hello, I hear also, but I think is a ball free, for mechanism of inertial seat belt , if you remove the plastic, you can see.

5. Toppcat

Toppcat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes its the stupid inertial ball rattling! Nothing you can do about that! Just wrap the area around the seat belt inertial ball with g mat and packet the general area with heavy sponge. Yes it reduce the pitch and noise level a little.