1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear seat vent

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jaredy, Sep 4, 2012.

1. jaredy

jaredy Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Have you guys notice that how the rear seat vent works? When you started your car and car was moving, did you notice that vent is always blowing? OK, I just notice that my rear seat vent just keeps blowing when my car is moving. Especially, it is loud as I hear when I turn off my radio.

2. ZPriusv5

ZPriusv5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Check this thread Rear Seat Ventilation? | PriusChat

I posted the description from the owner's manual how this vent works. After you read that you may want to check whether the noise you hear is from the climate control vents (then you could just change the mode of climate control you use if noise bothers you) OR if the noise comes from the battery vents which may indicate your battery temp is high (which depending on your driving, you might want to have the dealer check out).

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As stated above, turn your climate control fan completely off and chances are your noise goes away. The HV battery fan only comes on with battery temps above 95F and then has six speeds. With mine up to speed mode 4 my wife could not hear it standing by the rear door and she can hear a pin drop.

If you are indeed hearing the fan making a lot of noise I would get it to the dealer to check out.

4. BruceInOKC

BruceInOKC Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know which of the six fan speeds was triggered, but I've heard the battery fan kick on while driving on a summer night. My first thought was the right rear window was open. Then I realized the source of the noise was lower at seat level. Also, it was a rather unusual sound, as if the fan blades were rubbing across a thin layer of fabric.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you may want to check the fan to be sure it isn't rubbing anything, although some have reported fans louder than others. i have never heard mine in three different prii.

6. BruceInOKC

BruceInOKC Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, good idea.