1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Shock Brands VS OEM

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cgm55082, May 29, 2013.

1. cgm55082

cgm55082 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is there any difference between the dealer supplied OEM shocks and aftermarket shocks? Specifically, are aftermarket brands, such as KYB, significantly better than the replacements that can be bought at the dealership? I ask, because the dealership's shocks are actually almost half the price of the KYB's I'm looking at. I intend to replace my front struts with KYB Excel-Gs and was going to go with Excel G shocks for the rear until I noticed they were so much more than the OEM through the dealership. Any clarification is much appreciated.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. cgm55082

cgm55082 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since I already bought the KYB Excel Gs for the front, would it be a problem to use the less expensive shocks from the dealer in the rear? In other words, can I mix them up so to speak (Excel G up front; OEM in rear)? Also, how is it the OEM part can be had for less than half as much as the KYB branded aftermarket part? It leads me to think the OEM part is somehow inferior.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Who knows. Some marketing MBA at KYB-USA might be trying to test price elasticity on that part.

Regarding Toyota dealership parts dept pricing, you might also check AutoNation Toyota Gulf Freeway Parts | Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Toyota Parts and Accessories - Houston, Texas

and compare against your local dealer pricing. You might find that even after paying for freight, it costs you less to buy from this Houston TX dealer parts dept.

5. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I posted about this weirdness about six months ago. I would buy the OE struts for the rear and not think twice about it. They are likely the better strut, anyway. My dad's van has a set of the Excel-G struts and they are not very good, IMO.

iPhone ?

Ajourney101 likes this.