1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Side marker lights?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by carinpoland, Oct 2, 2010.

1. carinpoland

carinpoland New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a question for people who owned the 2010 Toyota Prius. When I got the vehicle I was convinced there were three side marker lights built into the tail lights. I seem to remember three LED lights emitting light from the red triangle on the rear lights. Basically from within the reflective area which is towards the front of the car. It seems now I have noticed that these lights no longer work. All my lights in the back seemed to work but I was pretty sure there were three separate little bulbs towards the front of the light. The light in this case being the rear tail light assembly. Can anybody checked at night if it was my imagination, or whether the lights on both sides simply stopped working?

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not in the reflector part forward but towards the rear of the light housing there are three LEDs facing to the side (as oppose to facing to the rear) on mine.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your taillight LEDs aren't actually facing rearward. They're facing towards the side of the car and are reflected backwards. I was under the impression that there are 3 cut-outs so that 3 LED bulbs are visible to the side as well so they should be using the same bulbs as the tailllights.

4. carinpoland

carinpoland New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All the LED's that are visible on closer inspection are working. I was sure that there were three LEDs facing the side in the side and front area of the taillight when I got it. I can not see any LED's in the area. There is definitely a side marker built into the side of the reflector in the front. I have the LED headlights. Absolutely love the LEDs since I drive a lot on the highway at night. I thought I used to see 3 leds to the side when I walked away from car at night, the light stay on for a bit after the car is off. Could it be that my memory is playing tricks on me? :confused: I only remember them working once though.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well there are 3 LEDs that are visible from the side so that part of your memory is correct. However, they're not separate bulbs and are simply an area of the reflector cut open such that 3 of the taillight bulbs are visible from the side.

Maybe you're thinking about a BMW? ;)