1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

rear speaker covers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by kline, Feb 8, 2006.

1. kline

kline New Member

I own an old school 2001 Prius and need to get the rear speaker covers off. A couple weeks ago my rear window shattered and broken glass fell onto the rear deck of the car. Apparently little shards of glass got in between the spaces of the covers. Now when I fade the speakers back to the middle or rear I can hear little bits of glass bouncing around in between the speaker surface and the cover unable to get out. It is more than annoying and I know that I can't just leave them like that and listen to music using the front speakers only... (who wants to do that?) I need to get them out because I have a feeling the more they bounce around back there the more they counld tear the speaker surface apart destroying the speakers.

I can't figure out how to get the covers off though. They appear to screw in from the top (i.e. not from below in the trunk) I don't want to take the chance of ruinning the covers by prying them off with a screwdriver. Does anyone know the technique?

Thanks in advance! You will be helping a happy Prius owner jam again.

Regards, David

2. yezdear

yezdear New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kline @ Feb 8 2006, 08:06 PM) [snapback]206122[/snapback]</div>
    i had the same thing happen, and have the same proble. has anyone a solution?

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you tried a vacuum yet? Silly Putty on the end of a skinny stick?
    Just random suggestions. :)

4. yezdear

yezdear New Member

talked to a prius technician. the only way to access the package tray speakers is to remove the package tray itself, which also requires removal of the rear seat back and bottom. this is because the rear speaker grill is attached to the package tray with 4 rivets, which are not accessible from the trunk. a vacuum won't work, as the glass shards settle at the base of the speaker, and it is too far away from the surface of the grill for the suction to work.