1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Speaker Fit?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by genoman, Sep 8, 2006.

1. genoman

genoman New Member

Hello everyone, newbie Prius owner here. :) Does anyone know if 6.75" speakers with a 2.5" depth will fit into my Prii back door ? I have some Pioneer 4 way speakers from my last car that I would like to use. Don't want to drill out the rivets unless I know the speakers will fit, i.e. not hit window inside door. Any help greatly appreciated.

2. benighted

benighted New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(genoman @ Sep 7 2006, 09:10 PM) [snapback]316177[/snapback]</div>
    They will fit. I have Infinity Kappas all around in mine that have some huge magnets on the back. I found the wiring a bit confusing (black is positive? Wth!), you'll probably need a diagram or just test to make sure they are in-phase.

When you get the old ones out you'll see why they sound so bad.

Good luck!

3. kDB

kDB New Member

i also have the kappa's. their mounting depth is 2 3/16", but take off some for the mounting bracket and i'd say close to 2" even. they fit easily. i don't see where another 1/2" would be a problem. as for the front side, i don't see how any speaker would come close to hitting the door panel..

4. genoman

genoman New Member

Thanks for the input. I'm gonna do the install tomorrow.

5. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(genoman @ Sep 8 2006, 12:10 AM) [snapback]316177[/snapback]</div>
    No fear of hitting the window. The window has a semicircular cutout at the base to avoid the speaker. I installed the 6 1/2" Infinity Kappas with no problem. They were smaller than the door cutout so 6 3/4" should work just fine.

If you have a nail nipper (this is a hardware tool, not a manicure implement), try that instead of drilling out the rivets. It's a lot easier. I had some rivets that started spinning with the drill, so I ended up using the nipper. The nipper works somewhat like pliers except it has sharpened ends to bite through the nail. You grab the rivet head-on (with its plastic backing) and squeeze. You can then remove the speaker (and throw it away), and remove the remaining rivet parts with pliers. This method also avoids metal shavings that you'd get by drilling.

Good luck with your speakers. You'll enjoy the results. It's amazing how awful the stock speakers are. But then again, you are just listening to cardboard.

P.S. Of course, now that I look at the date of your last post, you've probably already installed them by the time I wrote this. Oh, well.