1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear speed sensor / any issues with...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by tak1313, Feb 4, 2022.

1. tak1313

tak1313 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello all,

I just got a C0210 on my 2010 (right rear speed sensor problem), BUT, it's intermittent (for now). The typical lights came on (ABS, Brake, Trac) when I left for work, so I went back home to pull the code. After reset, it was fine until I almost got to work, then it came back for a minute. It went off while I was driving. I HATE INTERMITTENT PROBLEMS!

Anyway, my understanding is that whenever there is such a problem occurs, the regen braking is disabled.

Does that mean ALL regen is disabled, or just the "braking" part of it? Is there any problem if it comes on, and it takes a little while for me to get around to diagnosing it as far as the hybrid charging goes, or will I just see the bad mileage?

I know the 12v is charged from the hybrid battery, so does that mean that NOTHING will charge, or is it that the engine kicks in all the time and keeps the 12v charged such that the car will start/run?

Thanks for any input.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if your battery is charging and discharging normally, no worries

3. tak1313

tak1313 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks @bisco. I should modify my question just a little though, as it's not clear enough (I think). If the code becomes permanent - gets to the point where it's no longer intermittent - will it still be driveable until I can get to it, or will everything eventually go flat because nothing is getting charged?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't recall reading that the speed sensor disables charging. i would just drive it and keep an yeye on the battery icon until you have time to change it.
    if the code comes on permanently, see if the battery is being charged

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you check in the repair manual (more info), you will find there is a wheel-speed sensor test mode. When you select that mode, it makes the ECU's fault-reporting thresholds much more sensitive, so that often an intermittent problem will become easy to find. (Taking a drive in test mode to confirm the sensor operation is one of the steps in the repair manual after any wheel bearing replacement, though you'll see a lot of folks here leaving out that step, and then sometimes being annoyed later by wheel-speed sensor issues.)

6. tak1313

tak1313 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OK, here's my update in case it's of help to anyone in the future. As stated, my only code is the C0210. I could only do a cursory search on my break, and found a few posts about regen not working - and even at least one that said ALL regen charging was disabled, BUT that poster had couple more issues/codes. Since I was on my break, I couldn't dig into the brake posts (waka waka).

So it came up again on my way home, and these are my observations BASED ON WHAT THE DISPLAY WAS SHOWING.

FOR MY CASE, charging still occurs from both forward movement when no energy is required.
    Charging still occurs when the engine is running/kicks in and there is excess energy

So in other words, the usual when you're driving about.

What IS disabled, at least for me is BRAKE REGENERATION (which of course, makes sense for safety reasons). So there is no additional regeneration occurring when the brakes are applied - like when using the brakes for slowing, coming to a stop, controlling speed on a hill, etc.

So it's akin to forever driving without ever having to brake (as far as charging goes). I was concerned from the other posts that NO charging occurs because I don't know if I'll be able to get to it this weekend because besides hating intermittent issues, I hate working on the car when it's cold (about 20ish this weekend).

bisco likes this.
  7. tak1313

tak1313 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Forgot additional information. The dash lights on are the usual yellow ABS light, red Brake light, and Traction light.

8. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The engine drives one of the motor generators to charge the hv battery. Anytime the hv charge is low, vehicle moving or not, some or all of the engine power can be converted to electrical power. Regen also drives a motor generator but is not essential for charging.

9. imran Arshad

imran Arshad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Hi
    Sorry for bothering but I also have same problem did you got your problem solved?