1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear view mirror house symbol buttons?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cltyler1, Jan 18, 2005.

1. cltyler1

cltyler1 New Member

Can anyone tell me what those 3 house symbol buttons are for on my 2005 Auto anti-glare rear view mirror? I can see the on/off switches for the antiglare feature, but can't seem to find a reason for the 3 house symbol buttons in the owner's manual. Thanks.

2. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

Those are the HomeLink buttons to program your garage door openers, etc. into. Keeps the visor clean! (no controllers clipped there) Your manual will tell you how to program them.

3. cltyler1

cltyler1 New Member

Thanks alot! Should've known that.

4. cltyler1

cltyler1 New Member

Just so you know - we found the info in the manual under garage door opener, (we were looking under rear view mirror), and we programmed it easily, and our garage door is happily going up and down. Thanks!

5. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

You can also program security gates or house codes for wireless light, etc., if you've got them. That doesn't make much sense if you don't have them but if you do, you know what I mean.

Pretty cool, huh?

6. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Being an “AM†(safety model), my car does not have this feature (nor an unnecessary, for here in the Sacramento area, garage to use it on) . . . but I am curious . . . Is the Homelink feature disabled when the car is off?

Garage door openers are an easy way for burglars to gain access to your garage and, if attached, house. (But of course I would expect the Prii to have priority for garage parking space, making this scenario moot!)

7. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

The garage opener is not disabled when the car is off.

8. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You can also go to www.homelink.com to get complete instructions on how to program the system.

It's pretty easy and can do more than just open doors...it can be setup to turn on lights and all sorts of neat stuff if you like.

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I never considered that! Probably few did, as I am sure people keep their remotes in their car. But if you are opening a garage door with an opener, you are probably putting the car in there.

10. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If they break into the car they're going to set off the alarm...then have to get in the garage and finally break into the house after that. All possible, but with less noise they could probably just use a device that opens most garage doors (thieves have them) and let themselves in. The newer door opening systems with rolling codes are much more secure.

I would also hope that anyone who is worried about security wouldn't leave the door between their house and garage unlocked in hopes that the garage door is secure enough.

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hmmm, you have a garage with a garage door opener, but leave the car parked outside? I suppose it happens, I've noticed a lot of folks pack their garages to the rafters with junk.

I put Chamberlain garage door openers on the detached garage at my hobby farm. The inside control, which I put next to the light switch at the entry door to the garage, has a "Lock" button.

You press and hold Lock for 5 secs, and the LED's on the door sensor begin rapid blinking. This indicates the door opener will reject ANY remote request to open or close.

I've tried this and it works. You Lock the opener, and when you press the Homelink button, all that happens is the courtesy light in the opener flashes several times. So if you have an attached garage, this is a good security feature.

Otherwise, if you can't disable remote access for the opener, this is a valid security concern. Some folks rig up a light switch at the entry door to turn power off the the opener for the night.

12. techogurl

techogurl New Member

Where I live most people don't park their cars in their garage. The garage is usually used as another room of the house.

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, that is a neat feature. Especially since for one reason or another, there's a small gap between the floor and the rubber lining at the bottom of the garage door. It doesn't seem to want to close all the way down to the ground.

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Wide doors have a much bigger problem with this than the single-stall doors. If the door alignment or the tension pulley's are off at all, the door will close poorly or crooked, and will stop before bottom.

Once you verify the floor is perfectly level and the door is closing level, you can use the adjustment potentiometer on the opener to make it close a bit more. This requires patience as you should only turn the adjusting screw one click at a time.

You also want one of those thicker door seals, around an inch thick, for the door. It's properly compressed at around half an inch.

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the garage door is relatively new (about 2yrs) and I recall it closing perfectly fine so something must've threw it off course. Where's the potentiometer located? or is it different depending on brand?

16. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Look in the owner's manual.

Door openers that I have seen have a close stop position setscrew, and open stop position setscrew, an opening jam sensitivity, a closing jam sensitivity, and many have photo (infared?) sensors at the bottom opening of doorway.

The setscrews move a contact that tells the opener when it has reached the intended end of its travel, and the jam sensitivity controls determine how much slowing of the gears it should alow before detecting a jam.

Driver window works a similar way, but I believe it counts pulses from the photo-optic gear to determine end of travel, since it is a known travel distance.

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If the door is only two years old, it must have obstacle detection, which is the photocell near the floor. This way, if a child should happen to wander in or out while the door is closing, it will stop and change direction.

If it's a Chamberlain door, and you've lost the manual (Or the builder never gave you one), you can download it from their web site.

18. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

I tried programming mine a few weeks back and had no luck. Does anyone know if there are certain brands, etc that don't work? Could someone dumb it down more than the manual for me? I'd appreciate it, thanks.

19. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

It is an absolute pain the arse, it took me better than an hour to program just one of two remotes.

I had to try holding the thing at different positons and distances away from the Homelink button on the rear view mirror to get it right.

Read and reread the instructions. Get a ladder and look very closely at the door opener. Find the paperwork for it. Find out if it is the rolling code kind.

Make sure the car homelink is postioned in the very front of the door, so it has the strongest possible link.

Its a pain.

20. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Some of us have a 1 car garage and 2 cars (OK, it IS packed with junk so both cars are outside now). The only way to get in the garage is through the house or with the garage door opener. Don't really want to go stomping through the house with dirty shoes to open the garage door to get something you need in the front, (topic alert!) like the air pump for the Prius tires. :)