1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear view mirror noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kablooie, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My rear view mirror makes a kind of buzzing noise. It was very hard to locate because the sound reflects off the windshield diffusing the location. It stops when squeeze and hold the mirror.

Does anyone else have a similar problem?
    If so, did figure out how to fix it?

I've got a 2004 Prius.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I get that sometimes, and I've had the same noise with mirrors on other cars. It's just a slight vibration in the mirror mount. Sometimes swiveling the mirror around will calm it down.

Tom

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try this trick: turn the mirror 180 degrees so that it's upside down. That may kill the buzz; it also gives slightly improved visibility through the rear window. *Note* that the mirror will only rotate that far in one direction! If you meet resistance, try turning it the other way, lest you break it.

4. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I've thought I heard that too --- only to discover that it was my glasses vibrating against the sides of the little compartment immediately above the mirror! I plan to put some rubber on the sides to stop it.

5. SebMike

SebMike New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I had similar squeaks coming from my rearview mirror. I ended up taking the mirror off its mount and then wedging some of those yellow post-it notes between the plastic housing and the mirror. I put them in with the sticky side touching the mirror. THen I used an x-acto knife to cut along the edge of the plastic housing.

That basically gave the plastic housing something less noisy to rub against, the post-it note.

I wanted to squirt some silicone spray into the same area, but knew I'd get the spray all over the place, on the viewing surface of the mirror, etc...

btw I am talking about the self-dimming mirror, not sure if you have the same one?

Mike