1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear-view mirror rattle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jkash, Dec 11, 2005.

1. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After months of trying, I found the source of my rattle last night. Actually, my wife did. The rear-view mirror has a pretty bad rattle/squeek at times. It is very annoying. It seems that the plastic around the mirror rubs against the glass causing the rattle. I can squeeze the plastic and make it stop for a few minutes. Anyone have an idea on how to prevent the noise completely?

Thanks.

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Jeff is it the mirror glass that is rubbing on the plastic frame or the frame rubbing on the windshield? if it's the mirror I'd take a toothpick and some RTV silicone and put a small bit on the toothpick and squeese the frame and in each corner put a small dab of the silicone on the mirror and release the frame so the RTV is in the gap between the glass and frame. Let cure and that should stop the movement. That would be my first move against the squeeking.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think Frank's suggestion is a good one. I have an alternative that may also work, I used it with my Honda Accord which was full of rattles. Buy a small piece of felt about the same color as the plastic and use a really small screwdriver to insert little strips of it between the glass and the mirror.

4. bobodaclown

bobodaclown Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks for the suggestion. Currently having same issue. Will try these fixes.