1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear view mirror replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by mgb4tim, Aug 1, 2009.

1. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was lucky enough to pick up a Gentex mirror with Homelink for my III. Now I'd like to get it in the car.

Has anyone already removed the overhead console? I know there has to be a source for constant 12v, and I'm betting Toyota used a different harness for a switched 12v for higher model levels.

But, one step at a time. Can anyone share how to remover that overhead console?

Thanks!

2. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? Bueller? ;)

3. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I did mine for Mazda CX9. I can tell you that, in my case, the power tap points are inside the left kick panel, not on the top console. You have to route the wires inside the trim near windshield and down the A-pillar trim and down to left kick panel.
    CX9 also has a top console (of course). Imagine why the Mazda instructions don't instruct ones to tap power/ground there! The wiring/fuse may be insufficient to handle the extra load.

Note: The Homelink needs constant 12V.
    If yours also has auto-dimming, it needs switched 12V.
    Plus, you need a good ground tap. All three can be found inside the
    left kick panel. Find a wiring diagram of Prius. Those are easy to located.

4. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks ceric! Do you have pictures of your wood dash kit installed?

The constant 12v has to be there for the overhead lamps.

And I hope the autodim wire can be tapped into the LED that shines on the console to be available when the light are on.

I really don't feel like running a maze of wires...LOL.

I've tried popping a putty spreader between the console and headliner, but can't get it to snap out, and I don't want to break it.

I was able to program one of the HomeLink buttons-hooked it up to my battery charger...haahaa, so I know it's going to work great once I get it it. And, now my wife wants one for her car.

5. Zhentar

Zhentar New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In my Prius II, I just soldered spare Molex power connector onto the console light circuit board, and hooked both the auto dimmer and the home link to the constant 12V.

The auto dimmer pulls something like .25-.5 amps while dimming, and then holds somewhere around .05-.1 amps while fully dimmed. Leaving the dimmer on overnight wouldn't cause an issue but if you left it on while the car sat for a week or two it may be enough to drain the battery. I have never let my car sit for a week, and usually remember to turn it off, so I consider it an acceptable risk.

6. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    thanks Zhnetar! now if I could get the console out, I'd be happy. I hate to just pull and break it.

7. CosmoGeek

CosmoGeek New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am following this thread with the same goal. I want to install a mirror with dimming and homelink also. I'm holding off buying the mirror until I know I will be able to install it. I pulled a bit on the overhead and had no luck. I too want to tap into switched and unswitched 12v and ground in the overhead console to avoid routing the harness. However, it might not be that much work to route a harness, if you can figure out how to pop off the overhead AND the pillar cover. Mirror installation instructions I found for an older model, implied that it was easy to route the harness from the pillar base down to the electrical access area. If the harness had the appropriate molex connector, then this could be easier than tapping into the overhead console. However, I pulled a bit on the pillar cover and quit when it didn't pop off easily. Plus I'm not sure where the airbags are and I don't want to accidentally deploy one of those :eek:

I'm still looking for the installation instructions and general wiring diagrams for my Prius III 2010. Anybody know where I can find these?

edit: Found this thread regarding getting manuals/diagrams (sorry, I can't post complete url):

priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-technical-discussion/63088-2010-shop-manual.html

8. wsrussell

wsrussell New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I also would like to do this; however, I have not located a mirror yet...where did you find yours?

As for removing the console...the part closest to the glass needs to come off first and has 2 clips on the side closes to the 2nd part...just work you fingers under the cover edge start at the glass and move to the middle, once at the middle pull down. The second part has 4 of the same clips basically on the four corners and a couple of pastic fingers pointing towards the rear of the car, so for this one pull down until the clips release starting from the glass side working back. Once all 4 clips release, carefully remove and unplug the cable.

This is about as far as I have gotten toward this mod...

9. CosmoGeek

CosmoGeek New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Try searching for GENK40 or GENK41 or 50-GENK40A or 50-GENK41A. They are made by Gentex. The lowest price I have found is on eBay.

Here is a description I found for the difference between the two:

What is the difference between the 50-GENK41A and the 50-GENK40A? The 50-GENK40As wiring harness is a direct plug and play where as the 50-GENK41A you have to place the pin in the right spots manually.

The 50-GENK40A is recommended for those who don’t have a lot of experience with wiring.

The 50-GENK41A windshield-mounted mirror comes complete with detailed installation instructions and all necessary hardware – perfect for the experienced do-it-yourselfer or professional installer with some wiring required. And, the 50-GENK41A Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror comes with 3-year / 36, 000 mile warranty. See what a difference the Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror can make.

Notes: The Gentex Wire Cover is highly recommended if there is 3†or more space between your mirror and the headliner. It conceals otherwise loose and visible wires running to the mirror (See link Below).

10. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I got mine from a fellow lister for $25 + shipping= $33 :D. already programmed it, just need to install it. I'll try wrussell's directions for the console tomorrow.

If you push the headliner up and the rearmost part of the console, you can see the harness plug, lots of wire to play with. Should be easy (knocks wood!)

11. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I got the small forward piece out, only held up by 2 of the same studs that hold the door panels up. Still a little scared to pull the console too hard. Maybe try again tomorrow.

12. wsrussell

wsrussell New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    there are 4 studs on the console, plus 2 pieces of black plastic that point toward the rear...Just pull hard on the front window side and it will pop out.

13. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    the windshield side?

OK, what about the door panels? I get the screw out of the inside pull and all the plastic studs pulled, but it doesn't want to let go around the inside latch handle.

I'd like to see if I can add 12v power points in the doors for the kids to plug in DVD players and DS charges. I'd pull the power from the one inside the front console. Want them on the door, but could just mount a 2-plug unit on the back of the front console for them, but I'm afraid it woul get kicked all the time.

14. WaterbedWarrior

WaterbedWarrior Going insane!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  15. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  16. WaterbedWarrior

WaterbedWarrior Going insane!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Crutchfield hasn't updated their website to reflect the 2010. I think they are just transferring the 2009 info. Bad, bad thing to do.

17. texas112

texas112 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, I guess the 4 studs are harder than the 2 in the front piece. I gave up twice because it felt like the back piece takes much greater pressure than the front piece.

I just want to disable the LED for the shifter light. I don't need a spotlight on the shifter while I drive :)

18. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm going to use that power from the LED to power the autodim mirror. I guess I'll just pull harder.

19. wsrussell

wsrussell New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Got my mirror today...I was hoping that it would plug into the console (somewhere). But the wiring that came with the mirror is a lot more than I expected. May have to get a multimeter and check out the connections in the console (or maybe see if Toyota has a different harness that would work).

20. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    mine has yellow, black, red, and 2 different whites. I'll use black, red, and yellow.

i got the console down, at the expense of the passenger side map light lens. :( I have it in place with some clear packing tape, but I don't like it.

Now, I just need to make 12" extensions for all the wires i need, loom them up and play with the meter and test light. Maybe this weekend.