1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear view wireless camera and monitor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Bob Allen, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A number of Priuschatters have been toying with adding rear view cameras to their Prii. I've been intrigued by the idea, but decided against it partly because of cost and partly because I didn't know where I would put the monitor (I have an add-on GPS that sits on the dash where the rear view monitor would likely be if I installed one).

My partner, Lyle (www.biolyle.com) the bio-diesel guy, gets catalogues all the time, most of which end up in the recycle. I found one with a cover add for a rear view camera monitor setup for 129 bucks. This seemed a reasonable price and substantially less than what I've seen elsewhere. The unit is made by "VR", and their website is:

www.vr-3.com

I went to the site and checked it out. The camera setup looks reasonable, but it's impossible to tell from an ad what the visual quality and reliability would be. It's available in wireless and non-wireless, black and white as well as color. The screen looks a bit small, so I imagine it might be hard to judge distances.

I'm curious to know where one would mount a monitor and would be interested in hearing from those of you who have added a rear camera. I'm assuming that you didn't wire into the MFD but have a separate camera stuck on the dash somewhere. Most of you have probably discovered that the sticky pads used to hold things down won't adhere to the black plastic on the dash. Don't know why that is. My add on GPS on the top of the dash where the curvy front piece meets the flat expanse going up to the winshield, on the driver's side. This is probably where you'd mount a rear view monitor as virtually everywhere else would obstruct one's view outside or of the instrument cluster.

Bob