1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear visability problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dovcamp, Dec 11, 2004.

1. dovcamp

dovcamp New Member

Does anybody else feel that the rear visability in the 04/05 Prius is very limited?

Anybody come up with a solution?

:(

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're talking about the spoiler splitting your rearward vision, you'll get used to it. The spoiler actually blocks the headlight of the tailing vehicle (assuming it's not tailgating or too far away). Give it a few weeks =)

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    most here have found reasonable success by adjusting the side mirrors to see most of what they need to.

personally i found that the lower split window makes it real easy to do some tight back-in parking

4. tntna

tntna New Member

One other thing I noticed about the lower window is that it doesn't fog up at all and rain doesn't lie on it. So the top window may be hard to see out of but the bottom window is clear.

5. eklabbers

eklabbers New Member

I've become accustomed to the view. However, it still bothers me a lot when other cars are tailgating, because sometimes it seems as if they're going to hit me, even though they still might be some distance away. When they're so close that I can't even see their headlights anymore, I can get really annoyed. I wish I could display messages on the bottom window, to tell them to "back off" of my beloved Prius.

6. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You will get used to it... it took me about a week, I still think that people are closer than they really are...

Bob Andersen

7. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The rear spoiler is a plus in blocking the headlights of vehicles behind you, including large tractor-trailers (trucks).

The only real "blind spots" are along the sides and convex wider angle side mirrors would be a big help. Integrating Karl Smith's (1971) periscopic mirror (3 pieces of plate glass, 120° vision) into the vehicle would eliminate all side and rear blind spots and eliminate the need for an inside rear view mirror.

8. fred

fred New Member

i agree completely that if you position the bar that divides the rear window just right you block the headlights of those following. also, i think that a $1.99 investment in a round convex mirror placed on your left outside mirror makes a huge difference in visibilty! cheap insurance thats for sure!!!!!

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My previous car (a Civic station wagon) was all glass. I could see everywhere. No blind spots at all. I felt quite shut in in the Prius.

I do not like the situation of the view out the rear. Both upper and lower halves give a restricted view. The wiper doesn't help much, and the lower half has no wiper at all. The blocking of headlights is a small consolation.

However, I regard it as a necessary trade-off for the low coefficient of drag, and a minor annoyance in an otherwise great car.

10. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I got used to the split view fairly quickly. I do find I clean it reasonably often as it collects dirt diminishing the view.

The only time I had trouble was trying to parallel park 1 night with a big SUV behind me. His lights were blinding and I couldn't see the front of the car behind my space. I finally got far enough out of the road that he went around, then I parked easily enough.

11. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I noticed the exact opposite

I noticed the exact opposite, the rear defrost lines work great on the UPPER window, they seem to have no defogging effect on the lower window unfortunately. Do I need to bring this to the dealer's attention? As both windows supposedly have defrost lines running all over them.

I know that many of you praise about the rear spoiler and that it blocks headlights from cars behind you. But if the designers need to impair our rear vision so substantially much just to block headlights, isn't that a lil' pathetic? Why the auto-dimming mirror then? Why not other cars incorporating an opague spoiler to split their rear window into 2? Why the NHTSA regulations to regulate headlight projection level? I personally think the blockage does more harm than good and that it is a compromise of some sort (to reinforce the Prius structure maybe?).

12. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You can look into:

1) Backup sensor

and/or

2) Rear camera

3) www.lanechanger.com - but I worry about glare from behind & sides

13. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Daniel sit in an Insight, for the REAL shut in feeling... I have the spot convex mirrors on each outside mirror..

Bob Andersen

14. rflagg

rflagg Member

compaired to my Neon, the rear view is just another plus on the Prius - much better. Not seeing directly behind you with the smaller window is hard for me to drive without, now.

-m.

15. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

it probably is for structural support for the hatch as it's made of aluminum and would probably twist easily without it in place. Mind you the glass is also a structural element in the design, as is the windshield.

16. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just figure the aerodynamic shape leaves no alternative but the split window. I am confident the rear spoiler was not put there to block headlights. Some people may enjoy that aspect of it, but it's just what the shape of the car requires.

Bob: I'd love to sit in (and drive!) an Insight. But when I was shopping for a new car, the Honda dealer didn't have either an Insight or an HCH to look at. Of course, I had already made up my mind I wanted HSD, and not IMA, but I figured I should look at the Hondas, just to be fair. But there were none to be seen.

17. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

None of you find that foot wide A pillar an issue? Has messed me up more than the lack rear vision.
    All of its easy to deal with, but the rear vision isn't great. The split doesn't bother me as much as the low cut off. I'd really like to see higher up.

18. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: I noticed the exact opposite

I have the same issue... does anyone actually see their lower window being defogged when they turn on the rear defogger? In any kind of light rain or worse, that window is useless.

19. canuckican

canuckican New Member

See one of my earliest posts BEFORE getting my own Prius...

"Visibility over left shoulder???"

This has been observed, commented on, and discussed a lot!
    You are not alone.

20. noisebeam

noisebeam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I find it a defininte weak point - not the direct view behind me and the spoiler bar, but the view to the slight left and right behind me.
    Because of this it is much harder to back out of my driveway into the street and be aware of what could be coming on road and sidewalk. I must go very slow and stop and go to check. Lots of little blind spots.

Folks write that you get used to it - this just means you get used to having blind spots, not that you get to see better. Just like one gets used to diminished hearing or bad vision.

Al