1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

rear window display

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by icarus, Jul 30, 2007.

1. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Driving or more correctly sitting in stop and go traffic the other day, surrounded by giant SUV's I was struck with an idea. Wouldn't it be cool if one of the tech gurus out there could create a rear facing display, showing the current Prius milage. I'm sure that it would be eye opening to the hoards in thier gas guzzlers to watch me slide by with 99.9mpg as they are idling away at 5-10mpg. Even running down the road at speed at 50+ MPG would be a trip for others to see.

Any genus' out there able to figure out how to do this? It seems all the infomation is there from the mfd, so figuring out how to do another display can't be too hard.

Icarus

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You'll get killed. Why not save yourself the bother and just flip off a hummer driver. :D

Tom

3. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    HTTP 404 Not Found

4. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Jul 30 2007, 12:13 PM) [snapback]487554[/snapback]</div>
    Road rage issues not withstanding,,Think of the eyes that might, just might realize that if people alter their preconcieved ideas, they really can have an effect on the world. I suspect that the emotions would run the gamut from anger, to awe to envy. If just one of those people who were either awed or envious were to change thier behavior it would be a victory.

I am blessed not to have to have a daily grind commute, I just happened to be in the City (Seattle, the traffic planners poster for poor choices in traffic planning) and was stuck in traffic.

I too envisioned some sort of discrete digital reader board, like the front of busses, perhaps refreshing every minute or two rather than the distracting real time, all the time changing of the MFD.

No guns, no glory, no worries,

Icarus

5. christob

christob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While waiting for a wired digital solution, you could go a little more old-school, and with a series of numbered, changeable "flashcards" in a clear plastic sleeve, simply update your latest MPG calculation each time you get in or out of the car ;)
    A little sign that said "Current MPG: __ __ . __" and you just drop in the appropriate numbers as needed.

Wouldn't be quite as exciting as showing off the 99.9 during no-ICE mode (which probably would confuse some drivers, and for others, send their disbelief, and perhaps their alt-fuel resistance, through the roof.) Then again, it wouldn't display your worst, or just low, values (such as during acceleration) to a skeptic/hy-bashing driver, either.
    But it would get those wonderfully high tank-average mpg's, in the 50s, 60s or 70s, out there on display! ;)

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    There is also a Scrolling LED License Plate Frame, which can display up to 5 120-character messages. Just program it with 5 of your most common MPGs and change (via remote) as necessary. It isn't legal in all states, though.

7. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've often thought of the same thing... a nice, low-key, LED screen with the current "lifetime" MPG... and, also, have realized that it could precipitate some rather negative reactions.

But, it's a fun thought, sometimes :D