1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Window

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mary Snyder, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Mary Snyder

Mary Snyder New Member

Can anyone tell me their technique for backing out of a parking space? I'm having a terrible time. When I turn my head and look back, all I see is the sky. I see the cars in the parking lot in the side mirrors, but nothing directly behind me and the rv camera doesn't help as it is always in a glare and anyway when you look down at the camera image you're not paying attention to your driving movements. Thanks for any help.
    Mary

2. mike_m

mike_m New Member

Mary,

Post this in the Main Forum. You'll get more answers there.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    backing OUT of a space? that shouldn't be a problem since the road should be wide enough to pull out. If you mean backing IN to a space, there are several methods you can use

1. Use the passenger side wing mirror. This means you can't really use it in traffic since it's tilted down so you'll have to shoulder check more carefully when changing lanes. What you do is guide the car into the spot such that when the rear of the car is near the line (if it's a painted spot), then the line in the mirror should disappear. That way, you can use the mirror to gauge where the rear end of the car is.

2. Another is to have someone help you out when you back in. Then when they said you're in a good position and properly parked, look out the rear window and see if you can find any hints from the car behind that could help you. For example, is the rear spoiler where the wipers of the car behind are? That way, you know the next time the spoiler meets the wiper of the car behind, you're in. Obviously adjust for taller vehicles like SUVs

4. Ian MacDonald

Ian MacDonald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Masnyd @ Sep 6 2006, 08:17 PM) [snapback]315504[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Mary,

Here's a thread that discusses one way to solve a bit of the problem. I have one in my car as well. It seems to help a lot in some circumstances.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=9478

Cheers,

-- Ian

5. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Tideland Prius mentions the technique, but I will promote the concept of backing into a space. I always try to park so that I can pull out rather than have to back out. It's safer. Visibility during backing out, especially side-to-side beyond adjacent vehicles, is considerably less than when pulling forward. And there are many moving objects crossing your path that need to see you and be seen, both pedestrians and cars. When backing in, you can thoroughly survey the area around the space before committing to park. When the rear of the car reaches the threshold of the parking space, there is a much lower chance of pedestrians unexpectedly walking across your path, and NO chance of a car moving across it.

If you set your outside rear view mirrors correctly and make it a habit to use them, backing becomes quite easy. To enhance visibility both during backing and during normal driving, I have attached small convex "blind spot" mirrors to both of my outside mirrors. This eliminates having to tilt them down as Tideland Prius describes.

Some precautions: As you approach an empty space, you need to watch for vehicles coming up behind you. If they're too close or coming at you too fast, you may find they're right on your bumper (or pulling into your space!) as you're ready to begin backing. You shouldn't expect them to back up and let you in, so plan on finding another space. As you back in, you still have to watch for adjacent parked vehicles beginning to move, or their occupants unexpectedly opening doors in your path. (Practice defensive driving: Always expect other drivers to do something dumb.) And finally, you need to have a good sense of where the rear bumper of the car is (or have a good view on the RV camera, which I don't have) so you don't back into another vehicle, light pole, etc. For this, the small section of the rear hatch glass is great.

Of course this means I often can't get into the one empty space right in front of the Wal-Mart, and I have to park what seems like a mile away. But I prefer a more distant space with fewer or no adjacent cars anyway, to minimize the risk of door dings. (So far so good. I've had the car almost 9 months and no dings or scratches yet.) And the exercise can't hurt!

Jim

6. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< I haven't had real problems backing out of a parking space driving my Prius. I find that the rearward view is better than average due to the lower window in the hatch. I have set my exterior rearview mirrors per the suggestions of the "Defensive Driving" course which also provides a very wide view of traffic in the lanes both right and left of the lane in which I'm driving. This setting also helps in the rearward views when backing. PM me if you would like a detailed explanation of the exterior mirror settings.

I have had issues with pedestrians when backing due to the SILENCE of the backing Prius and am considering purchase of the "buzzing" backup light bulbs. Would that Prius enabled a "backup horn" for the Prius somewhat like that of a backhoe, frontloader or other commercial vehicles. I have also had problems when parked adjacent to those HUMONGEOUS SUVs... can't see around them, can't see through them... thus can't see oncoming traffic in the lane into which I'm backing - but that's quite another subject.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Sep 7 2006, 05:41 AM) [snapback]315649[/snapback]</div>
    mmhmm. Back in when possible. Unless, you're going to Costco and rather not manoeuvre the large trolley in between cars lol.

Kinda sad... I've backed in so often that my "pulling in" skills have deteriorated.

8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just go ahead and back out as you normally would. If you hear someone scream or hear a loud crunching noise stop and go the other way. If you honk first sometimes they get out of your way too. :)