1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Wiper Blade

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by MaggieMay, Jul 31, 2009.

1. MaggieMay

MaggieMay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    2 people like this.
  2. Glider

Glider New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a different issue with the rear wiper on my G3 (not covered in the documents cited). The angular sweep seems to be set high so that the bottom third of the pane doesn't get wiped. Is there a quick adjustment, or should I see about warranty work?

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks.

3. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Maggie,

While I may not describe it too well, Jabber showed me a cool little tricj when I picked up my car at the dealership. You can lift the arm up on the Gen 3 rear wiper, if you slide your fingers under the cap where the arm joints, and separate the cover slightly.

This does not damage the arm at all, and is in fact designed to do just this. Please try that, and let me know what you think. Certainly seems better than it did on the Gen 2 Prius rear wipers.

1 person likes this.
  4. MaggieMay

MaggieMay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I will try that before I attempt the 'surgery' that was explained in the Gen2 thread where you trim back the bit of the cover that blocks the arm.

According to that thread, those that did it, did not have the blade lift in a car wash.

Glider - you're right the wiper doesn't cover much ground and that's been discussed in a number of threads. Many folks never use that wiper because it has little affect on their vision - I'm thinking I'll use more in winter to move snow than now to move rain.

5. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Great tip (from Jeff/Jabber from IL) - for washing car or cleaning rear window.
    Tried it and took some pics. Simply spread the underneath part of the plastic cover out (the part toward the wiper by the U shape). It will release the latch there and pivot up as shown. Don't be afraid to force the spread a bit while lifting the cover - it will work.

Attached Files:

Hipstor, zippo, JkRbbt and 5 others like this.
  6. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I saw your post when I got back from trying this in the garage. It works great--still have the safety catch, and can easily lift up for cleaning. One more improvement from the previous gen! :p

7. MaggieMay

MaggieMay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Awesome Dean - thanks! I'd run out and play with it right now but it's pouring rain here. It looked like the previous Gen the cover comes completely off - in your photos it looks like the cover hinges up so you're not juggling/dropping/loosing it . Excellent!

I retract my contribution to stupid things in the other thread. :)

Thanks!

8. Glider

Glider New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Actually, I'm one of the (minority of?) folks who likes the wiper. It's just that it's set so the bottom and the top of the sweep are both too far counterclockwise (looking from the back of the car). If it could be adjusted to re-position the arm on the shaft, say, 5-10 degrees more clockwise, all should be well.

I read about how to flip up the cover that allows you to raise the wiper blade, and when you do this, you can see the shaft with a nut at the end holding the wiper arm on. Piece of cake I thought. However, when I unscrewed that nut, the arm did not want to come off and I hesitate to force it. Maybe you need an extraction tool or something. Maybe there's only one position that it can be mounted at.

This is not a big deal, but I thought someone might know if the rear window's wiper arm can be reoriented and how to do it.

Thanks.

- g

9. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, this is EXACTLY was I was talking about. I found it to be very useful when hand washing the car.

I have brought the car through a car wash already, and other than removing the stubby rooftop antenna by hand first, I did nothing else before entering (other than close the windows). Does anyone know if the rear wiper arm is still at risk in a car wash?

10. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I too love the rear wiper, however, I am afraid that with two inches of snow on it (as we get all the time in Chicago), that it will block up most of the view through the rear window. (Granted, I park in a garage at home, and a heated one in the office, so this will only happen if out shopping or something).

If there is a way to adjust the swing a bit, I would love to get it to wipe a bit lower on the glass myself.

11. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi eglmainz,

I have had the experience of driving home in a 4 inch snow storm. Of course traffic is very slow. And it was that sticky snow. I had 3 inches of snow on top of the Prius arriving at home. Travel speeds were just too slow to blow it off.

The rear wiper was the only thing that gave any rearward visibilty at all. Where it did not sweep, there was 2 inches of snow.

2 people like this.
  12. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, it's true. with the previous generation, the plastic cover came off completely so it was a pain finding somewhere to put it while you're cleaning the window. Now it's hinged.

13. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Crank up the rear defroster and hope it keeps up with the snowfall. Nope, I know better - lived many many years in Chicago and Boston. Now in Florida. Won't rub it in. ;)

14. Glider

Glider New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, I spoke with the dealership's service manager about this. He got a socket wrench to remove the nut on the shaft and a screwdriver to pry off the wiper arm. The nut came off but the arm wouldn't budge (same results that I had gotten at home :rolleyes:). He said that means Toyota doesn't want you to adjust the arm. We'll have to live with this - it's not a big deal - just would be nice to adjust it.

15. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I decided to revive this thread since the oldest post is only 4 weeks old. I need some help guys. Believe it or not, my 2004 rear wiper is OEM. Never had a need o change it but it is now time. The rubber is separating and its effectiveness if nil. Let me preface by saying I have two left thumbs and it takes me days (not hours) to construct Ikea furniture. Yes, I am a special needs mechanic to put it lightly. I bought the arm with the blade attached (only way they claim to sell it at the dealer I went to). It was $19 with tax. I know how to remove the bottom clip that enables you to raise the wiper close to 90 degrees in relation to the rear glass. I simply can't figure out how to remove the arm/blade assembly. Does it twist? Its gotta be something so simple but I can't figure it out. Any assistance would be most appreciated.

TIA!!

16. RoyThePriusGuy

RoyThePriusGuy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Why is this not posted on the Gen II forum???