1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear wiper does half the job

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Gkjeller, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Gkjeller

Gkjeller New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am fopeful that it is only on my car, but the rear wiper seems to only come down half way on the rear window. I feel like I need to have full visibility on the already cluttered rear view. Are all the 2010s like this?

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yup, at least mine is the same way. I was thinking that removing it and adjusting it down a few notches (on the shaft) might help to get lower on the window. Haven't tried that yet though.

3. Radiant

Radiant New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The 2010s have a little quarter moon looking space that is wiped off on the back. I hear it is an improvement, but that makes me wonder "improvement over what?".

The car has so many great features, I am learning to check and recheck that back view before backing up.

4. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    All 2010s are the same - the rear wiper is pretty useless.

5. Creaky

Creaky Still motorin...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've seen on Sigma Automotive's site a replacement rear wiper arm. It can be found here:
    Oversize JDM Steel Rear Wiper -- US-spec ZVW30 Prius comes with and can only accept 15 3/4" rear wiper blade even though its rear window can accomodate an 18" one. By changing the wiper arm from the US-spec to the JDM type, you can upsize your blade to cover the largest possible area...
    In my opinion, it might be able to have a broader sweep, but I fear it still will not cover that little bit that our current wiper doesn't get just above the window split. And I know that's where my annoyance comes in from. It's like the wiper blade only clears the window just so that truckers and people in SUV's, taller cars, get to look inside the hatch area. YMMV.

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Another option is to use Rain-X. I put that on this fall and it really help both the back and front windows. The rain just rolls down without puddling and obstructing. We don't get a lot of rain here so your mileage may very.

7. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think your fear is correct as the pivot point remains the same. The new blade may get more to the sides and top but likely not down low.

8. JuJu and Me

JuJu and Me New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Drove my 1 month old Prius in snow for the first time this morning. The rear wiper did a fabulous job of pushing the snow down onto the bar that splits the window and furthur decreasing visibility. I love my new car, that rear window is my biggest complaint.

9. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    +1. Same snowfall, a little farther south, and first drive in snow. Agree it is almost useless. OTOH, the rear defogger works great to melt that snow. Maybe not so much when it gets really heavy though.

10. wammo

wammo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I agree with the previous chatters: the rear wiper is very cute but not very useful. Except for the freak snowstorm last week we do not get a lot of that stuff, but we have plenty of rain and super humidity that a decent rear wiper would easily take care of, but not this cutie. Come on Toyota, is this as good as you can do on such a wonderful car?

1 person likes this.
  11. Gen 3 for me

Gen 3 for me Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I agree with above mentioned uselessness. Makes me wonder what small increase in fuel economy might result aerodynamically from removing the wiper arm and the weight due to the motor and plugging the hole.

12. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine is Tinted anyway so can't see anything much anyway. But agree with everyone it is totally pointless and usless to have a wiper at the back. And worse it is at the wrong side of the half that is supposed to be useful.

1 person likes this.
  13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does that mean it's on the right side for us? LOL

14. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was usefull when I popped over to France :)

15. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My steering wheel on the right hand and the wiper hinge on the left so when it wipes it cleans the left hand side. Where does your wiper hinge situated?

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    same side as yours but a shorter wiper blade and the steering wheel is on the left side so we "see" the arc portion of the wiper instead of the wiper arm.

17. snoctor

snoctor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    it might be a little better if blade swept further down closer to the bottom edge of the rear window. Mine leaves about 3 or 4 inches of window untouched... and those are the critical 3 or 4 inches that I see through in the read mirror.

18. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My wiper arm is very short. I don't think yours can get shorter. I see they didn't even bother to change the side of the wiper. Toyota is so crap.

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You guys get a longer blade. Japan and North America gets a shorter blade (see some of the owners' photos).

Well Japan is RHD so presumably they made it for their side of driving. Plus, I think it's expensive to make two different types of rear window. I don't know any car that has two sets of rear wipers (the easiest is just have one mounted in the centre)

Indeed. It wasn't too much of an issue with the Gen 2 but I have noticed it's a little more bothersome in the Gen 3 (maybe it's because of a taller lower rear window?)

20. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A