1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear wiper removal

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by sbritt, Oct 5, 2006.

1. sbritt

sbritt New Member

Just wondering if anyone has made the modification to remove the rear wiper? The wiper seems to be useless for those who have the camera for backing up. I have seen on cars other then the Prius that you can usually get a cap to insert into the hole where the wiper used to be.

I believe that the car would look better without it.

I did a search in the forums, but could not find anyone that has done this. Maybe I will be the first.

Thanks,

Steve

2. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sbritt @ Oct 5 2006, 07:49 PM) [snapback]328718[/snapback]</div>
    Isn't the wiper there to clear rain & snow off the rear window so you can see what's coming up behind you as you drive?

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I agree with PA, I use the rear wiper (it rains here in the Northwest) so I can see traffic behind me. Of course, I have a 2005 without the back-up cam, but I still like to see cars and trucks approaching from behind me on the Interstate.

If you really want to take off the wiper, pull up on the plastic cover at the base of the blade (spring it wide at the bottom front if you're having trouble and it pulls straight up) and remove it. Remove the nut holding on the arm and the wiper arm.

Drive around and see if you mind not seeing out the back window in the rain/snow. If you do, put the blade back on.

If you still want to remove even the wiper post, pull off the plastic panels on the inside of the hatch. Starting at the bottom is best, they just snap in. You can get at the wiper motor fairly easily once you have off the bottom and mid-rail cover.

Be sure to install the plug in the glass with silicone sealant so you don't get leaks inside the hatch.

And take lots of pictures and post them!

DISCLAIMER: Proceed at your own risk. Do not modify your vehicle to make it illegal or unsafe.

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'd agree with the previous posters, i like having that wiper there! in my experience, there have been many times when it's been raining/snowing that a water drop will obscure the backup camera lens, making it very difficult to use... at those times, i'm very greatful to have that wiper, as it keeps the back window clear at just the times you really need it.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In the 3 years I've had the car I could probably count the number of times I've actually used the rear wiper on my two hands. Rain doesn't gather on it when the car is in motion so that's not really an issue. I guess if you parked outside where it snows it might be useful, but I rarely do.

That said, I'll leave it on. Those occasional times I used it, I really needed it. The window was badly dirty or I had been sitting in the rain and the view was obscured. It certainly doesn't bother me to have it there and it's nice to know it's available if I do need it.

6. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  7. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My package did not include the rear wiper and I have never missed it. RainX keeps the rear window clear.

8. chimohio

chimohio New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 6 2006, 09:08 AM) [snapback]328864[/snapback]</div>
    I agree - I find it works well to keep the rain off, and my camera display has been clouded due to rain. You know what they say - you'll find you need it most once you don't have it.

9. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasalsa @ Oct 6 2006, 10:58 AM) [snapback]328900[/snapback]</div>
    Is it possible for seasalsa or somebody else with no rear wiper to post a photo. I too would be interested in removing the rear wiper, but I'd like to see what it looks like first.

I would also be interested in the part numbers needed to do this.

10. cbustapeck

cbustapeck New Member

I'd guess that the only thing you'd really *need* to remove are the wiper arm and motor - and check with your friendly Toyota dealer for the plastic cap to cover the hole - it'll probably end up being a $10 piece of plastic. Some cars, you need the rear wiper, some, the defroster will do the job just fine.

Removing the wiper and wiper motor should reduce the car weight by a couple pounds... and reduce drag, too!

11. Dr Ed

Dr Ed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sbritt @ Oct 5 2006, 05:49 PM) [snapback]328718[/snapback]</div>
    If your state requires an annual auto inspection it is likely you will not be able to pass inspection without the wiper. Like horns, lights, and brakes, functioning front windshield and hatchback wipers are required for an inspection sticker in many states.

12. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have never heard of a law in CA that requires a rear wiper......

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cairo94507 @ Nov 23 2006, 09:58 AM) [snapback]353440[/snapback]</div>
    Same in MT. Heck, here it CA, the cops got their hands full with all the crak hoze, pimps, & gang homies ... pretty obvious why they no longer run those, 'let's check to see if your tires are ok' stops any more.

As for the wiper 'mod' ?? The "EVnut" made a nice mod that lets you raise the wiper up a nice distance so you can easily clean under it ... but mod / removal? Maybe that's just semantics. Anywho, I concur with the folks above. You get out to the car late at night with dew all over the rear ... it's nice to be able to clean it so youi can see out. Now I must go bake turkey :^) Happy thanks giving to all!

14. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Nov 23 2006, 10:03 AM) [snapback]353445[/snapback]</div>
    I've always wondered about that design of that plastic little cover on the hinge. They obviously went to some trouble to design that in. Maybe the wiper flips up at 100mph without it and causes the rear end to lift?

15. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I saw a Prius in Japan a week ago with no wiper...

Dave

And another one the same day...

Attached Files:

16. Newsmom

Newsmom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The 2004 Prius came without a wiper, unless you got one of the packages. It cost extra to get that wiper, and I paid it!

From 2005 on, the wiper was standard.

How do I know these things? I have a 2004, a 2005 and a 2007.

17. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< One more thought...

The Backup Camera is helpful and I'm glad to have it; however, its image is distorted with the "fisheye" lens making it difficult to judge distances with any real accuracy -AND- it is not operating driving down the road. In my judgement, it is not a replacement for the rear wiper. I consider the Backup Camera and the rear wiper unrelated functions in most ways.

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    even sedans in Japan have a rear wiper. It's not limited to wagons/hatchs.

I noticed that the silver Prius has the trim rings removed!

19. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  20. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

Looking at the pictures DaveLeePrius posted, it almost looks like the cars without a rear wiper got a different hatchback glass, as opposed to the same glass as other Prius with a rear wiper and using a plastic plug. Could that be true?