1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rearview mirror upgrade ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by cobraz, Jun 24, 2008.

1. cobraz

cobraz Prius Pirate

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I miss the digital compass that was in my rear-view mirror of our two older cars. I was on sigma's site and saw they have a upgrade mirror with the digital compass for prius.

Has anyone changed one out - how easy is it to do...?
    Also I have a package 2 so - I have no power mirror at the moment - so would it be easy to get power to the mirror ?

Thanks for any help on this mod.

2. KayakerNC

KayakerNC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My Garmin Nuvi will show compass direction, not something I normally check on.:plane:

3. cobraz

cobraz Prius Pirate

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a Tom Tom One XL - no compass...also

4. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    cobraz,
    I think the Prius use Gentex mirror. So are many other automakers.
    See it here.
    Gentex Corporation :: Automotive :: PLO :: Interior Mirrors
    You might need a special kit for your vehicle (Prius).
    Wire tapping to constant 12V (with homelink) and switch 12V (with autodimmin/compass).
    Typically, you need to run the wiring down through the A-pillar to the kick panel for wire tapping.
    I installed one for my CX-9. Very nice.

5. cobraz

cobraz Prius Pirate

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, the second one with just Compass and Temp - that's the mirror...
    The problem - thou you described - how do you do that and what - is the A-pillar.. sorry no technical as far as car frame... could I tap into courtesy lights above..?

6. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    From Wikipedia:

"An A-pillar is a name applied by car stylists and enthusiasts to the shaft of material that supports the windshield (windscreen) on either of the windshield frame sides. By denoting this structural member as the A-pillar, and each successive vertical support in the greenhouse after a successive letter in the alphabet (B-pillar, C-pillar etc.), this naming scheme allows those interested in car design to have points of reference when discussing design elements. The terms are also used by heavy rescue vehicle teams to discuss cutting vehicles open with the jaws of life."

I installed one on my FEH. It is very easy to do if you have minimal to medium electrical skills and aren't afraid to remove an interior trim piece or two. The hardest part is identifying the correct wires to tap into and running the temperature sensor wire through the firewall if you opt for that feature.

7. kjconrad

kjconrad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I'm in a similar boat, I'm on a list to get a package 2 right now because I didn't want to shell out for a package 4 (3s don't seem to be available in Az). Essentially there are only 2 or 3 things I want over the package 2. If I buy a mirror with homelink in it afterwards it's just a matter of running 2 wires? Is there a walk through that shows where to find the correct wires?

8. m2mazda6

m2mazda6 Silver Pine Mica

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I plan on getting one also self Dim compass homelink, I found one on web for $229. was told by the place any stero install can do it , or you can do it pretty easy I was told

9. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I installed on of these Gentex mirrors in my NSX-T and it had all the bells and whistles; dim, compass, temperature, map lights, garage door openers. It was a nice product and i recall it was about $300 and took about 1 hour to install.

10. kjconrad

kjconrad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Does anyone have an install guide for the prius that shows you where to run the wire to? I'm hoping to find some instructions before I purchase one.

11. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I installed a Gentex Compass only mirror in my 07 package#2 and it was extremly easy. The model with the temp and homelink should be just as easy. You just have to find a power source ( I prefer the ignition sense for this mod) and be careful running the wires so you don't block the airbag side curtain.

12. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  13. phoskins

phoskins New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I did this mod on my 2008 pkg 2. It took 15 minutes start to finish. I tapped power off the fron cig lighter. Bought a gentex mirror with compass off ebay for about $150. It works well and is very easy to do.

14. cobraz

cobraz Prius Pirate

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Was it easier to do than the above doc... that looked complicated.

15. phoskins

phoskins New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, my way was much easier. Take off the old mirror, mount the new one. Run the power cable along the overhead liner along the passenger side. I tucked it into the front of the overhead liner with a plastic knife. Run along over the passenger side and down the front of the passenger door frame. Keep tucking the wire into the plastic molding with the knife. Ran it behind the glove box and down to the front cig lighter. At this point you should split the wire lengthwise (one goes to hot, the other to ground. Instructions should tell you which is which). I grounded to a bolt on the passenger floorboard, about where the passengers left foot would go. The panel that the front cig lighter is in pops off with a good tug after you remove the button on the bottom right. With that off you can use the supplied wire connectors to snap the mirror wire to the hot wire on the cig lighter. Use a power/volt meter to find hot wire. I bought a cheap one that lights up for about $3 and it worked fine. So in the end you should have the wire running from the mirror split in two (note - not cut in half but slit lengthwise). One wire connected to a ground, the other to the cig lighter hot. I did it in 15 minutes when inside the car when it was pouring rain. Good luck. You will enjoy it and it is a cheap/great upgrade.

16. kjconrad

kjconrad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Aren't there 3 wires to connect? Always hot, ignition switched, and ground?

17. phoskins

phoskins New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I got the mirror with the compass. One wire was power for the mirror/compass and the other ground. There were 2. On this I recommend you go with ignition switched and not permanent hot. You want it to shut off when you turn the car off or you will drain your battery.

18. carlconsults

carlconsults New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am in the process of changing the '07 Pkg#2 mirror for the autodimming mirror. Is there a way that I can hook it into the dome light, map light, or vanity lights and get it to connect ACC, ground and hot without having to bring the wire down to and behind the dash?

19. kn0tme

kn0tme New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hi everyone. I JUST got a 2009 Prius (Package 2) yesterday. I am planning on doing a few mods .. I want to replace the grill assembly with the touring one .. so I have driving lamps (that I'm going to use as DRL's); add a K&N and swap out the mirror with something nicer!

My previous vehicle was a Ford Escape. I added the gentex auto-dimming/compass/outside temp mirror to that. It wasn't TOO difficult (although I somehow tapped into a hot wire that shut off when you used the rear-wiper. oops). So, I have 2 questions relating to this thread though ..

(I want to use the Genteck 50-genk50)

1) is the stock mount on the 2009 prius windshield correct for the 50-genk50 or do I need some kind of adapter/replacement?

2) This mirror specifically says it is NOT for cars with side curtain airbags. From reading other forums, as far as I can tell it's do to poor installations interfering with deployment. If the cables are routed correctly (from my memory there were 3 .. ground, hot and temperature sensor) along the windshield side of the support column, it shouldn't interfere with the airbags at all. Is there any other reason I WOULDN'T want this mirror?

I'm fine with the installation, but I want to make sure I'm not going to create other issues. I know this is an old thread, but any opinions would be appreciated before I shell out the $300+ on this mirror.

Thanks.

20. tigerpilot

tigerpilot Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I have a Homelink mirror from a package 5 for sale. See "Private Sales"

Piece of cake to install.

Regards...