1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reasonable Source for D4R replacement bulbs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by coot, May 27, 2008.

1. coot

coot New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  2. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Although cheap, the light amplitude from these 5000k and above headlamps will be lower than the standard Prius HID lamps.
    Somebody correct me (since I don't have the information at hand) but isn't the Prius factory lights at 3400k or 4200k?
    The factory lights produce a whiter white and better visibility.

Good link for those who want colored lights.
    I've seen these lights on the road and always wondered which types of cars produced them, evidently they are aftermarket.

ZC1

3. coot

coot New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I replaced my stock halogen on my BMW motorcycle with a 5000 K bulb and it is the same brightness as a flash bulb or the noon day sun. I has a faint blue when its first turned on, but after it warms up in about 15 seconds there is no blue tint to it at all and it is a heck of a lot brighter than the stock 4300 k bulb at least to me. When I have to replace my HID bulbs I will be putting the 5000 k in it. But to each his on. Stick with the 4300 k if you like. Above 5000 k the light gets a bluer tint to it and less usable or visible light. At 12000 k the light is violet or purple and is more like a black light. Looks pretty but not much use, it puts off more of a ultra violet light.
    A lot of the cars you see on the road use a standard halogen bulb with a blue coating on them. Sometimes you will see one in the distance and as it gets closer the change from blue to more of a white color, not HID.
    This place is just an alternative to getting raped by paying Toyota $350.00 dollars for a bulb that is way over priced. Be my guest and throw your money away. The difference between the 5000 and the 4300 is only 700 degrees kelvin. I have both and I prefer the 5000.

4. ursle1

ursle1 Realist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  5. coot

coot New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    yep and $25 dollars more

6. coot

coot New Member

Vehicle: