1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rebalancing after replacing single HV module

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by LeftyAce, Mar 31, 2016.

1. LeftyAce

LeftyAce New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

I've got a dead module (and the dealer wants over $3k to replace the whole battery). I just read most of the excellent thread on replacing a single module from my battery, and I think I can do it.

Where I'm hesitant is the rebalancing. Back in 2013, it sounds like with $400 worth of chargers it could be done in 6 days (yikes!). A later post referenced the Reaktor 300W charger. I can get one of those for $121.

Can anyone describe the capabilities of this unit? Does it detect full charge automatically via voltage? How do I program/control it? How many modules can it do at once? How fast is it?

Thanks in advance!

-Lefty

2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Agree w/ Steve.

Spend some time and do the research first, as your questions have been answered already. Gen II Prius Individual Battery Module Replacement | PriusChat This tread will literally walk you through it (process, equipment, settings), but you still need to do the hard part: read, understand, and take notes. If you still are unsure, after reading, it is probably best that you don't undertake this procedure.

NEW HV Battery
    $2017 2007 Toyota Prius Parts - Toyota of San Bernardino Online Parts Store
    $2071 2007 Toyota Prius Parts - Discounted Toyota and Scion Parts and Accessories
    $2175 2007 Toyota Prius Parts - Camelback Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Parts - Free Shipping
    You just need to call and make sure these dealers will sell the HV Battery to you. Some dealers sadly won't. Also, the HV ECUs inside the old pack would have to be transferred into the new pack. Again, is this something you can do safely?

The upside with a dealer installed battery is you get a 3 year warranty vs 1 year when not installed by a Toyota dealer.

Maybe you can talk to the dealership and have them BEAT North Hollywood Toyota or San Bernardino Toyota's part price? If not BEAT, then matching is 2nd best. Also shop the labor install fee, as each dealership has crazy labor prices: some are reasonable others unreasonable. A reasonable dealership will match the $2071 and another dealer's cheaper labor rate.