1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rebalancing and charging - DC6 vs. B6AC

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by FirstFlight, Jun 16, 2012.

1. FirstFlight

FirstFlight Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know a lot of people on here talk specifically about the DC6 charger/balancer. Has anyone used the BCA6 for this? If so, are there any pros or cons that were noticed when using the B6AC?

The biggest benefit I see is that the B6AC has four channels. Other than that, the user manuals look identical. In fact, to me it seems like the same person wrote the manuals.

2. wegortw

wegortw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you ever find the answer to this? Looks like I am going to have to replace rebalance my pack.

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There is no difference except for the 4 channels making it 4x quicker. The only problem is the requirement for a high current supply. If charging at 5 amps on each channel you need a 20 amp supply.

Using 2 BCA6's you can rebalance a complete battery in 7 days, but this the requires 2x 20 amp or 1x 40 amp supply unless you stagger the charge/discharge cycles.

John (Britprius)

4. wegortw

wegortw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It looks like the B6AC has the AC to DC power supply built-in (on the Amazon version), and uses a standard wall outlet. How would you adjust the amperage on this type of unit?

I saw using the DC6 you have to setup a separate power supply (computer ATX, 12v battery, etc...), but I thought the built-in on this B6AC would be an additional benefit so you didn't have to mess with the power input.

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    From my experience the B6AC and the DC6 can be used with the chargers own power supply, but this is limited to a maximum of 6 amps.
    If using 4 channels the current output of each channel would be 1.5 amps. This will work but the charging times will be extended accordingly, 5 amps per channel being a more realistic level of charge.
    I may be wrong on this having only used ten DC6 chargers at one time, but from reading the Amazon adds they state maximum 6 amps.

John (Britprius)