1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rebuild ABS actuator

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AshokTexas, Jul 5, 2022.

1. AshokTexas

AshokTexas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello All.

I have a 2008 Toyota Prius touring with a bad ABS actuator. Been contacting Toyota dealers to see who can get me a new one. Checked with auto zone, advanced auto & O'riely and none of them have the Dorman rebuilt one in stock either and unable to order one. A little hesitant to go with a used one not knowing how long it might last.

I googled rebuild kits but I did not come up with any useful info. Wondering if anyone as ever rebuilt on by themselves.

Bit of back ground with all codes I have that are pulled using TechStream. The codes C1256 & C1391 point to pressure loss and my pump runs every 20-30s which matches to C1256 & C1391 code issues. (I also have C1241, C1242, C1300) which I diagnosed to skid control unit failure, voltage on R1+ & R2+ are 13.5 & 13.39V above 8-13V range specified in DTC.

As I am unable to find a new actuator looking towards are entertaining the thought of rebuilding one!!.

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well...

There isn't much that can be disassembled on the brake actuator. Most of the valves and internal parts are pressed into the assembly, then have special tools "swage" the aluminum of the housing to lock the parts in place and seal them.

The only way I have ever gone inside any ABS actuator was to destructively cut it apart.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    In Europe and Asia or whatever there's another car like our Prius I can't remember I think it begins with an A you can get used to low mileage takeouts from those vehicles from Asia here in America from the JDM importers I know it seems risky but I've had good luck with the mess. And the cost is reasonable and now I can change one of these things out that's behind the inverter on a Gen 2 in about 2 and 1/2 hours so not too bad I'll do that I'm not paying $1,100 for a part for a 2008 car or older I'd even hesitate doing that for my 13 when I can get them like I bought my engine for about 150 bucks from the importers yeah they're used but so what it's just a risk you have to take or I'll take anyway

4. JeD1

JeD1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Tombukt2 | PriusChat
    Can you get the specifics for the Asian ABS brake actuator pump assembly?
    I have two cars that need replacement ABS units and $150 each sounds really good.
    Thanks.