1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

rebuilding a gen 3 battery with new cells (gen4)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by heltonsc, Mar 24, 2021.

1. heltonsc

heltonsc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi! i have a 2013 prius gen 3 with 92 thousand miles. I started having messages to verify the hybrid system. I checked with Dr Prius that there were 3 bad blocks while driving in EV mode. They were yellow and then red before the DTC code.
    I live in the state of Rio de Janeiro, hot temperature, summer almost all year round. I thought the battery had a very short life, although the consumption was still very good. Maybe if you changed the cells and did the balancing it would still work for a few years. But as I use the car for work and it would take weeks I preferred another solution

As few prius units were sold here in Brazil, the availability of prius cells is low, luckily the hybrid corolla started to be sold in Brazil in 2020, the corolla is one of the best selling cars here.

I found a rescue corolla (2021) with a new battery, just 2000 miles. And here they use the same Gen 4 Nimh battery.

In my first impressions, MPEG is much better. The battery charges very fast and takes a long time to discharge.

In web searches I found that the new gen 4 battery has 28% faster charging
    2016 Toyota Prius sticks with nickel hydride over lithium-ion batteries in Australia | CarAdvice

I would like to thank everyone at the priuschat, without you I would not have succeeded.

In Brazil the majority of prius owners are rich wannabe, so there is not much enthusiasm in DIY. Prefer to pay a $$ fortune at the car dealer

Unlike the USA, cars here are very expensive, parts and repairs too. mainly imported cars.

As I'm just a "poor boy" I decided to do all the repairs myself.

Photos:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NEW CELLS
    [​IMG]

My Battery
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NEW CELLS IN THE CAR BATTERY

[​IMG]

NEW BATTERIS - Dr Prius

[​IMG]

#1 heltonsc, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    Abarnabe and SteveSco like this.
  2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    look into H.265, it’s the industry video industry standard now.

Mr. F and heltonsc like this.
  3. heltonsc

heltonsc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sorry, mpg

actually being honest here we use km / l
    Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good for you! Hope it goes well. Maybe you can start a business doing that and not charge
    as much as other places and make good money!

heltonsc likes this.
  5. JohnPrius3005

JohnPrius3005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Heltonsc, Awesome job!! Congratulations. Definitely harder to do these things when there are not a lot of spare parts easily available. Very cool you found that Corolla. Very inspiring. Thanks for posting.

heltonsc likes this.