1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rebuilding a Snowblower Engine

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by PriusGuy32, Jan 19, 2013.

1. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I get stir crazy over the winter and as a gear-head grease monkey need something to wrench on :D So I figured I share with you my little project for the next couple of days. :)

Modding the Prius is fun and all but I need to get DIRTY! hehe.

I found a vintage Bolens 5hp 24" snowblower on craigslist for $75 OBO with a "bad engine" and the seller accepted my offer of $50 to take it off his hands. Hmmm... challenge accepted! :D
    [​IMG]

I got it home and looked it over... its in great shape overall. The transmission is still smooth, everything is intact and very little rust/wear. It was probably rarely used, based on the looks of the auger and housing. (y)

Put some gas in it, changed the oil and it started right up! Engine was quiet. For a minute I thought "COOL! The seller had no idea what he was talking about, this engines fine!" ... that is, until I saw the crankshaft PTO walking around in its journal :confused: and spewing oil everywhere.

Ok ok...Chris, find your happy spot. A few choice words came out of my mouth as I was hoping for an easier fix. Oh well...

Get the engine off the machine, and the side cover off the side of the engine. Ah ha:
    The crankshaft journal all gouged and chewed up
    [​IMG]

The crankshaft galled
    [​IMG]

NOW I see why the seller deemed the engine trashed. The engine had probably been run low on oil or the incorrect grade, and the crankshaft suffered oil starvation. Funny, the camshaft and the cylinder itself looks fine. Im going to be mic'ing everything before I put it back together so Ill know if the camshaft and cylinder/connecting rod suffered a similar fate. Going to have to ask an expert rebuilder why so.

Anyways, I will update this in the next week or so with my progress. I was able to find the side cover and the crankshaft - believe it or not, this series of motor was very popular and manufactured by Tecumseh for 25 years, used on snow machines, motor bikes, yard equipment, etc. The parts network is very strong (bonus!).

Wish me luck :cool:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    cool, i'll be watching. all the best!

3. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good opportunity to consider adding HSD technology to the snowblower. :cool:
    DBCassidy

4. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You probably know this but you didn't mention it. It should get new piston rings and check the valve guide wear too.

5. dbcassidy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Current engine = boat anchor. Not worth chasing parts, get new one and plow snow.

DBCassidy

6. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    sad to say, but you are probably right. As a SWAG, the crankshaft, case, gaskets, piston rings probably come to about $150-$200. Then there are the parts we don't yet know about.

Priusguy, you might be able to find the parts you need here:
    Tecumseh Small Engine Specifications.

7. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks! I added it to my bookmarks.

I was able to get a new side cover for $18 shipped. The gasket was about $4. Im now chasing down a crankshaft. Found one for $30+ $15 shipping.

I priced out a new china motor at Harbor Freight ($119) but it doesnt have electric start like mine does, so that would be $80 more.

Im still ahead rebuilding the current engine :D

8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Congrats, that's a lot lower than I expected!

9. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah... lets see though when I start really tearing into it. I need to take the cylinder head off to check the cylinder walls for scoring and clearances. Also I need to check the connecting rod for same. This could get either a.) to expensive/cost ineffective to rebuild or b.) simple job by just having to replace the crankshaft and side bearing cover.

If it needs more than the crank & cover, if the cost exceeds $100, I will stop and go buy a new engine from harbor freight. I dont want to do that, I want to keep the machine original. But the economics of this job will dictate the machines future powerplant.

10. dbcassidy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    O.K., this is a hobby, which is good. I was under the impression you needed to get this machine up and running ASAP - my bad,

Other parts to look at: friction wheel, auger, and traction belts. shear pins (if applicable). These are normal wear and tear items. Engine: check, measure cylinder bore for out of roundness, wall scouring. Examine enging casing very carefully for other fatigued / stressed cracks - can save you a lot of heartaches later on.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

DBCassidy