1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

rebuilt title highlander with front end damage?

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by donbright, Jul 19, 2023.

1. donbright

donbright Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    would you buy a 15 year 200,000 mile highlander with front end damage and a rebuilt title?

The thing about this one is that.... it actually has documented oil changes every 5k miles, almost like clockwork.

the price is so low that even if it took the entire cost of the car to repair it, i'm wondering if there is a chance it would be better value than 95% of the similar used hybrid cars on the market right now.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Many lenders will not finance a car that has a rebuild or salvage title. Similarly there can be issues with insurance companies. So,bit's best to check with them before doing anything.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'd buy it in a heartbeat if the frame was undamaged and i were capable of diy everything

4. donbright

donbright Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    hill its gonna be cash transaction, thats the whole fun of buying 200,000 mile used cars, no payment.

bisco - do you like bright pink tho?

bisco likes this.
  5. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    It doesn't take much to total-out a 15 year high mileage car.
    1. do they have accident pictures?
    2. who put it back together, does it drive straight and how does it handle if you jerk the wheel at highway speeds. Has the air bags been replaced or by-passed.
    3. are you handy with a wrench, fix minor issues.
    4 When was the last timing belt change, was the idlers and water pump changed with the belt; if so equipped.
    5 Can you take the lost if it blows up in 6 months.

I'd take the gamble, if I could answer all the above questions and it's cheap enough - but I can also wrench.

If your shaky on any of the above questions; take it to a certified shop for an evaluation. Usually less than a Benjamin....

Good Luck.

6. donbright

donbright Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    thanks, slept on it, took another look at the carfax.

there were zero maintenance records on the second owner, for like a year or three, tens of thousands of miles.

i found a site that had a picture of the auction, which was at IAAI, zero visible front end damage on the exterior but still had a $6,000 estimated repair cost. like i couldnt even find scratch on the paint.

now was that some kind of bizarre hit to the engine from underneath? did it need a new motor assembly? did the oil run out due to a cooler line busting? how can you $6,000 total a car with no visible external damage? nothing good, im thinking to myself.

most of all.... was the body bent? reading a lot of 4x4 forums, unibodies do not survive that quite as well as body on frame.

also researching the dealership it was listed under, they are super sketchy with a history of selling horrible condition cars to people with some awful mechanical problems.

also its a long way away so it would be hard to arrange an independent inspection let alone view it in perosn

so i took off the rose colored glasses and passed on it. could it have been fine? maybe. but i didnt want to do business with a sketchy dealership to find out. not worth it.

BiomedO1 likes this.
  7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Flood is the first thing that comes to my mind anyway...

Plenty of other no-good things in line behind it.

donbright likes this.