1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

recall for stalling

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by minou9602, Mar 19, 2006.

1. minou9602

minou9602 New Member

:( I recently took my 2004 Prius in for the 15,000 maintenance, and while it was in the shop they did the recall repair for the problem some Prius have had stalling. They reprogrammed the computer, and now my mileage is no where near what it was before. I used to average 42-45 in town, and now I'm only averaging 32-33. What can I do? (I had never stalled, and didn't request this reprogramming.)

2. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    This has been reported several times on this site. You will notice unusual charging behavior and lower MPG for a few tanks as the system retrains itself. Mine just got it's best mileage ever, so the reflash didn't have any lasting effects.

Remember, weather and driving conditions make a big difference also.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the HV ECU retains driving history data to improve MPG based upon your driving patterns. takes 3-6 weeks to accumulate when purged.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

are you saying instead of learning to drive my Prius, my Prius learns me???

5. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey, that's the first time I heard of this. Sounds pretty cool! Not saying I don't trust you galaxee, but is there a source for this info?

6. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Toyota course 072 Technician handbook: Hybrid System Diagnosis

7. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    May I ask for a scan of that page? just kidding! :p

Now I have one more thing to brag about. :D :D

8. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    clarification from DH, now that he's back:

the biggest change you'll see in MPG is because the HV ECU uses this data to improve the MPG readout accuracy.

however, there are parts of the car (HV ECU and others) that do learn your driving habits. he says, "but that doesn't mean you can drive like me and expect good mpg" :lol:

the HV ECU does to some extent adjust to your driving habits. all cars do have adaptive programming to tailor the performance, etc to the individual driver. this changes the shift patterns and other performance items. obviously shift patterns don't apply with a CVT but just to get the idea across... here's a situation he's seen.

a guy let his son take his car for a weekend trip. when the son brings the car back, it's acting differently. dad brings the car in to the shop, saying something's wrong with the car. nothing is actually wrong, it's just that the car has learned that the son likes to stomp on the gas.

a battery disconnect or ECU reflash will erase your saved history data and the car needs to re-learn things a bit.

hope that makes things more clear.