1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recall Nightmare: My Day is Gone

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by a1a1a1, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a1a1a1

a1a1a1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There was an appointment for 945a to get the brake ECU fix and an oil change at my local Toyota dealer in the San Gabriel Valley. The service bay was crowded with lines of cars. It took until 1030a just to write up the service order. Now they are saying it won't be fixed until after 3p. This was an "appointment" scheduled in advance!

Help, my day is gone.

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well, that's kind of your fault for buying into this mass hysteria and getting something that's hardly a safety issue fixed right away.

3 people like this.
  3. a1a1a1

a1a1a1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If Toyota didn't lie to me AGAIN by saying it would take two hours flat, I would be prepared to drop the car off.

Also, you can explain to your insurance company when your accident happens why you let your recall go.

4. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I plan to wait 3-4 weeks. Not urgent for me, and I'd rather have the accelerator folks and frantic Prius folks taken care of in the first wave.

I don't think an insurance co would have a case - we haven't even received a valid notification yet other than media stuff. But understand your frustration with the service delays.

5. samsprius1

samsprius1 HEV Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I hate going to the dealer for anything!!

A good place to stay away from if you can.
    I Do my own oil changes,I just like to do it!!

I will wait to get mine done!!A week or two,to much goin on at toyota.:rolleyes:

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'd be calling every day for non-accidents, because that's how many potholes I brake over in a week. Meanwhile, a non-hybrid rear-ended my brand new Prius a few months ago.

7. GrumpyAndOld

GrumpyAndOld New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Some people have legitimate safety and usabilty concerns. Your hyping that these are just mass hysteria is insulting. How do you know? I certainly would rather get my brakes fixed then enter a complaint on the database afterwards. Its called being proactive.

Since the delay was short in getting this to the field, I would think part of the repair documentation would include instruction on how not to piss off your customers. A simple, this may take a while you may want to get a ride might be in order, instead of we will get right to it and then delay.

Its called cutomers service.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Wow. This thread took an ugly turn.

a1a1a1, I'm sorry to hear that your day is - for all sakes and purposes - shot. But it appears that at least you have internet access. Have fun on YouTube or stream some tv shows.

2 people like this.
  9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    People's hyping that this is a huge safety concern and needs to be addressed right way is insulting.

10. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Keep in mind: When you set an appointment, there is not a mechanic waiting, tools in hand, to work on your vehicle. You have set a time to talk with the service writer.

You didn't say if you mentioned you wished to wait when you set the appointment initially. We are only able to take so many waiters per hour and we frequently have people come in who indicated they were dropping off a car and tell us they want to wait when they arrive. This is akin to making a reservation for six people at a restaurant and showing up with 12. They'll do whatever they can to accommodate the discrepancy between what you said you were going to do and what you actually did, but it may take longer.

11. Jolly Paul

Jolly Paul Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is standard for every trip I've taken to the dealership. They present the fiction of an appointment time, but the reality is always first come (physically present), first served.

I take it as given that a trip to the dealership means at least a half day, even if it is for an oil change. In a few freak instances it might go quicker, but don't count on it.

12. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just goes to show - topic of Car Dealers can get as nasty as topic of Politics. And we've had a few of those sprinkled around PC too....
    :argue: :argue: :argue:

13. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

My Prius works fine. Not into mass hysteria. As a psych nurse working with severely psychotic people I am used to keeping a cool head and keeping things in perspective.

2 people like this.
  14. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Had you received the letter already, you would have seen the following:

Mine took longer as well, but they set my expectations early because I was asking for additional services (5k service, alignment). Because they took even longer (more the fault of the car-wash), they comped the service (good show). I wouldn't expect this every time though.

Most service writers ask if you're waiting or dropping off to pick up later. If the latter, they may juggle it in between those who are waiting to balance their workload.

I don't think I can agree with those who enjoy blaming you for rushing in - however it is only fair to set *EVERYONE'S* expectations that all dealers will be busy, and that a 15 minute fix with 30 people in line will not take 15 minutes. Plan accordingly - drop the car off if your time is more valuable doing something else. Personally, I used the time to oogle over the new 2011 Toyota Sienna, chat w/ the service manager, and talk to other Prius customers.

The point of an appointment is to spread out the first-come, first-served into a less chaotic workflow.

From what I've seen, some dealers do schedule techs for each service requested in order to understand workload. If you attempt to make an appointment tomorrow, some may go so far as saying they can't accommodate it at that time because they already know their techs will be busy.

15. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i would cancel and reschedule. hassle for sure, but better than sitting at dealer all day. i have mine set for next tues. i have another commitment at 1 PM, so will not stay any longer

16. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Rick,

You are correct in there are a total number of hours available for a given number of technicians.

My point is that it's not like going to a dentist, where you've scheduled "chair time". Instead, appointments are scheduled in an attempt to even out the flow through the service drive, as opposed to the service department. Now, waiters are only scheduled with "x" spots available per hour; otherwise people will get stacked up in the lounge.

17. creativeguy

creativeguy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's not just Priuses clogging the dealership. Most every model has a recall or 2. I'll wait until my first oil change in a few months to get the flash.

18. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure I budget some time and bring a computer to do work while it is being done.

19. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct, when I was in, there were people having accelerator pedal, floor mat, and Prius braking issues. The bay was full, and the cars were lining up as I was leaving. I'm quite surprised they even had the time yesterday to flash everything on the lot.

20. hockeydad

hockeydad New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

A few comments:

(1) I feel your pain, and your experience brings into question Toyota's handling of this situation -from their inability to act on customer complaints spanning many years, to Toyota service departments that can't even agree on whether the oil service interval is 5k or 10K miles.

(2) Having to wait a long time at a service department, even with "an appointment", is nothing new. I've often had to wait hours with other brands/cars I've owned...so this is not unique to toyota. That said, one would hope with all the bad press and ill-will from customers, that Toyota would do a better job in implementing the software update, and to get you in and out with minimal delay.

(3) If you caused an accident because your Prius brakes did not work effectively, your insurance company would still be on the hook to cover personal and property damages. You would not be held liable. As far as i am aware, there's not time limit that this recall has to be performed by, and it would be unrealistic to expect that everyone can have this service done within weeks, or even months after the recall has been issued.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.