1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recall of 9 models such as wish and eye cis

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Service Bulletins - TSBs' started by vincent1449p, May 30, 2006.

1. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    FYI, Toyota has issued a recall Notification number 1663 on 30 May.

From babelfish translation:
    I've only extracted the VIN for NHW20:

VIN_ending_with _______Production Period __________________________Quantity
    0001043 - 0133242______2003 August 1st - 2004 October 13th____________64,436
    3000002 - 3130009______2004 September 30th - 2005 November 8th_______31,254
    7000000 - 7058792______2004 October 6th - 2005 November 7th__________17,545

If the translation were not clear, please wait a few more days and it should show up on NHTSA.

EDIT: Changed VIN to VIN ending with.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    we have 3 threads on this (Int'l Owners, Prius Main Forum and this one).

I've posted on the other threads directing them to this one.

I should check my VIN since my build date falls within the specified months. Come to think of it, that's almost a year and two factories' worth of cars.

Edit: Make that 4 threads.

3. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If you're like me and you don't remember - or never knew - how to decode the VIN number, here is a link to a collection of FAQs about the Prius: http://www.vfaq.net/FAQ-misc.html#VIN

Out of respect, I need to promote the site I'm getting this from:
    The site right now only lists '04s and '05s but most of the specs should carry over. Just know that if you have an '06 your stuff might be a little different. The site uses frames and you will need to click the link on the left navigational side-pane for the Prius stuff: http://www.vfaq.net/

5. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 30 2006, 11:43 PM) [snapback]262733[/snapback]</div>
    Please take note that if your VIN fall within the range, it does not necessarily mean that you are affected. If you look at the quantity, you will find that the number is much less than the VIN range.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vincent1449p @ May 30 2006, 12:06 PM) [snapback]262798[/snapback]</div>
    I just checked my driver's door panel and on the top line it reads, "Manufactured by Toyota (yada yada ) 07/04" and yet my VIN is within the range listed above. I thought that was odd since I picked up Priapus in mid August so I figured it had to have been manufactured prior to August.

Perhaps this is why not all VINs within the range are affected. I am - of course - speculating.

7. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

fun. I think I'm gonna go take my car over b/c just in case I am affected, I'm out of state(and facing a 6+ hour drive home tonight). It would suck to get stuck and have to use the warranty to cover things. My vin is within range of the 7,0000's. *sigh* I always wondered what my first recall would be.

Edit: Detriot news is useless but also has an article "It wasn't immediately clear whether the recall affected cars sold outside Japan."

http://www.detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...PDATE/605300407

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Something to point out: if you translate and read the grid regarding the affected vehicles, the column you are all extrapolating VIN range is really chassis (undercarriage) range. This may or may not correlate to VIN suffix range.

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    dealers do not have any information on this recall in the US. please don't go in asking to have this taken care of because they haven't even heard of it yet and will not be able to do anything for you.

i have DH keeping an eye out for it, but nothing has come up yet on TIS.

edit: one more thing- the steering column is designed to collapse on itself during a frontal impact, so that the whole column won't come through and smack you in the chest when the front end crumples.

10. plasm

plasm New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vincent1449p @ May 30 2006, 01:06 PM) [snapback]262798[/snapback]</div>
    This is assuming that all numbers in the VIN range are utilized. If some of them are skipped, then it is possible that everyone in the range is affected.

EDIT: I just realized that the quantities listed were the number of Priuses in those ranges that were sold in Japan (add up all the numbers in the original table and you'll get the number of vehicles recalled only in Japan). Given this, I wouldn't be surprised then that all of the VIN range is indeed utilized, and that all cars in those ranges are affected.

11. plasm

plasm New Member

This AP article says that there will be a US recall and we'll get notices in mid-June:

"In the United States, Toyota is recalling about 170,000 Prius models because the steering shaft assembly could become loose or crack under certain conditions.

"Toyota said there have been no reported crashes or injuries connected to the problem in the U.S. Owners are expected to be notified of the recall in mid-June."

12. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vincent1449p @ May 31 2006, 02:06 AM) [snapback]262798[/snapback]</div>
    Please note that the quantity is for Japan shipment only, and all vehicles are affected I believe.

The VIN numbers for the US format are...
    The 11th digit is factory name and the last 6 digits are numbers.

Tsutsumi factory
    0: 001043(Aug 2003) - 133242(Oct 2004)
    3: 000002(Sep 2004) - 130009(Nov 2005)

Fujimatsu factory
    7: 000000(Oct 2004) - 058792(Nov 2005)

edit: Please note that the above VIN numbers are for Japanese market only. The VIN numbers may be different for the US market.

Ken@Japan

13. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 30 2006, 01:54 PM) [snapback]262838[/snapback]</div>
    I have a knocking *now* when I'm turning or even changing lanes. My car is a 2004 with a bit over 41K miles on it (yes, I drive it more than average). The knocking is loud enough where I've turned the radio up to cover it up, but obviously this isn't optimal. Prior to this recall, I thought it was just another knock or rattle (which I have a collection of in my Prius). Is it safe to drive, and if so, for how long? I would really appreciate any information or guess you have, because obviously I'm not very happy driving the thing now.

14. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    jonnycat: we need to know more before we can really tell you anything.

where is this noise coming from? could it be from a CV joint?

is it a repeated knocking, or just a single knock/rattle noise when you are turning the wheel?

if it's repeated, does it seem to go quicker if you're driving fast, than if you're driving slow?

if the steering column is the issue, you would be able to reproduce the noise by turning the wheel even while parked. without the info in TIS, the dealer can't do anything until they get the official documentation. in the meantime, just be a little more alert than usual. avoid impacts with curbs and other shocks to the steering system, and if something doesn't seem right, stop the car. we don't want to cause you too much worry if there's nothing to worry about, but we also want you to be safe in case there is an issue there.

------------

from the sound of this, the problem could possibly happen from cranking the steering wheel over REALLY hard, or hitting a curb, or some other dramatic impact. they don't mention it with just regular everyday-type driving.

he's going to check TIS every day and look for this recall. as soon as it comes up, he'll print it off and bring all the details home so we can share it with everyone.

15. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 30 2006, 06:57 PM) [snapback]263038[/snapback]</div>
    It only seems to happen at higher speeds (ie, on the highway) and happens when I'm on onramps or even changing lanes. And it is a repeated knock.

For instance, last Friday I took the highways home, and I heard it a lot. Today I took the backroads (where I rarely exceed 45) and didn't hear it at all.

16. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ok. that really doesn't sound like this steering column issue. you should have it checked out though.

any vibration in the steering wheel with the knock? can you feel it in the floorboard? where does it sound like it's coming from? (left, right, high, low, inside, outside, etc)

17. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 30 2006, 07:34 PM) [snapback]263053[/snapback]</div>
    There's no vibration... it's just a 'middle' thunk from the outside front, if that makes any sense. As I said, it's active only when I'm turning or changing lanes at higher speeds.. and it's only been active since last Wed/Thurs.

18. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    it really doesn't sound like this recall thing. but there is something not quite right there. he recommends you take it to the dealer and show them so they can hear it for themselves. over the internet there's only so much you can really convey with a situation like this.

if it makes you feel better, if there was a problem with the recall part, you'd most likely have tactile feedback on the steering wheel. he's done TSBs on that part before to fix a "clunk" in the steering wheel and you could actually feel feedback with each clunk.

19. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 30 2006, 09:00 PM) [snapback]263098[/snapback]</div>
    I think DanMan had suggested it could be a CV joint, which I suppose is possible. It still seems awfully early (at 41K miles) to have that sort of problem.

20. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well if the boot was somehow damaged, it's possible at any time/any mileage. road debris impact can damage boots enough to cause problems.

typical bad CV sounds like:
    when you make turns (usually only to one side, the side where the joint is bad) it'll make a loud pop-pop-pop-pop-pop sound. you might (*might*) find grease buildup on the inside of the wheel rim. he has seen bad CV joinds where the boot was not ripped, also.