1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recall of Cordless Electric Lawn Mowers

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ilusnforc, Jan 30, 2007.

1. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  2. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thanks, I'll get mine fixed (again).

Nate

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Please note that nothing has changed since August of 2006. This is not a new recall.

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jan 30 2007, 05:31 PM) [snapback]383077[/snapback]</div>
    D'oh!
    This is the first I heard about the recall, so I guess it's new to me. -_-

Thanks for the info.

5. clintd555

clintd555 New Member

Or get a robotic lawnmower. :)

6. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Robomower looks really awesome, but $1,100 to $1,600 vs the cost of a cordless electric for $400...

7. clintd555

clintd555 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ilusnforc @ Feb 5 2007, 11:42 AM) [snapback]385616[/snapback]</div>
    If you compare it to how much time you'll save from pushing it around, it's a no brainer. Unless of course you enjoy pushing the mower around.

You may can find some used ones on ebay for about $500 too.

8. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You would have to be doing something in the free time you are given by not having to manually mow your yard that would make enough money to offset the cost. I think the pushmower is more economically feasable for the average person, and the average American can certainly use the physical workout! Overall my choice would be the push-style cordless electric lawn mower for a smaller yard <1/2 acre or so, but everyone has different needs. We have a large yard and we maintain the area around us so we currently have a small rear engine 12.5hp riding tractor and I wish it were electric. That would certainly beat having to crank away at it until it either starts or the battery dies from cranking, plus the oil changes, filter cleaning and storing of gasoline, etc... We have a Roomba in the house though, robots are fun.

9. clintd555

clintd555 New Member

It would be nice if they made electric tractors... I think they have diesel ones though.

I think it's funny, a person will have robot to vacuum their house, but the same person is reluctant to have a robot mow their lawn. If you'd ask me, I think mowing the lawn is a much more "annoying" household task than vacuuming. And I manually vacuum my house every week. I bought a roomba and it was a fun toy, but it won't last 18 months if used regularly. I ended up returning it... but the newer roombas I hear a more durable. I tried one of the older models.

In anycase, my robomower is MUCH more funner than the roomba. Nothing like staying inside the air conditioned house while the robot is out there in 90+ weather doing the work for me. I've had one over 5 years with no problems. :)

10. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How are the electric lawnmowers? I've seen the B&D one, but B&D stuff typically can't handle a big workload. I used to use a Toro 6hp push mower to cut my lawn and my parents' 1 acre lot. Now that my parents' have sold their house, I've been eyeing the electric again. Are there any really good ones out there yet?

11. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I've been looking at the electric reel mowers. Rechargeable LA battery. But they are pretty expensive and I was just in Rona and didn't see one there, so will go over to Home Despot as they carry them. If you give me some time I'll remember the brand. Typical city lot so it's more than enough. Gardena brand

12. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  13. priusunum

priusunum priusunum

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Feb 5 2007, 07:30 PM) [snapback]385759[/snapback]</div>
    I have a small lawn and for several years I have been using a cordless electric mower called Neuton, which I like very much. It runs on a battery that can run for about one hour when fully charged. It costs a little under $400, including battery and shipping. It's made by a company in Vermont. I think you can check it out at DRpower.com

14. c4

c4 Active Member

I've got two battery mowers- both top-of-the-line models, one is the reel mower from Gardena and the other is the biggest Canadian Tire model.. The reel mower cuts very nicely, but is slow and useless on longer or thicker grass.. I've got about a 1/3rd acre lot, and I need 4 of the 7.2Ah batteries to get through the job..

I got the Canadian Tire blade mower because the reel mower just wasn't fast enough.. This one is a 24V 18Ah and when fully charged, it works great, but contrary to stated ability to do 20-30000 sq. ft lawns, it barely has enough charge in one set of batteries to do the front lawn. In other words, I ended up needing another two batteries to finish the back, so I'm no better in terms of # of battery packs, but it is a bit faster than the reel mower and can handle thicker grass, but both are going to be up for sale this year- I *HATE* mowing the lawn and the inconvenience of having to keep all those sets of batteries and replace them halfway through the job is just too much (did I mention how much I hate mowing?), so this year, I'm getting a lawn tractor, which is what I should have done in the first place instead of paying the premium prices on what have turned out to be little better than electric toys.. If you have a small lot, an electric mower might be usable, but in my case, they just don't have the power or capacity..

I've got two battery mowers- both top-of-the-line models, one is the reel mower from Gardena and the other is the biggest Canadian Tire model.. The reel mower cuts very nicely, but is slow and useless on longer or thicker grass.. I've got about a 1/3rd acre lot, and I need 4 of the 7.2Ah batteries to get through the job..

I got the Canadian Tire blade mower because the reel mower just wasn't fast enough.. This one is a 24V 18Ah and when fully charged, it works great, but contrary to stated ability to do 20-30000 sq. ft lawns, it barely has enough charge in one set of batteries to do the front lawn. In other words, I ended up needing another two batteries to finish the back, so I'm no better in terms of # of battery packs, but it is a bit faster than the reel mower and can handle thicker grass, but both are going to be up for sale this year- I *HATE* mowing the lawn and the inconvenience of having to keep all those sets of batteries and replace them halfway through the job is just too much (did I mention how much I hate mowing?), so this year, I'm getting a lawn tractor, which is what I should have done in the first place instead of paying the premium prices on what have turned out to be little better than electric toys.. If you have a small lot, an electric mower might be usable, but in my case, they just don't have the power or capacity..