1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recall repair

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusDreamer, Nov 2, 2005.

1. PriusDreamer

PriusDreamer Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Has anyone actually gotten a recall notice and has anyone had their Prius in for the recall repair? What was your experience and do you have any idea how difficult the repair actually is?

2. filiberti

filiberti Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Took my 2004 Prius in Nov 1 for the recall. Took 1.5 hrs they had told me up to 3 hrs ... What I had noticed is I seem to run on electric power more, like today on a side road , FLAT, I was doing 30-40 mph and all electric. I never noticed doing that before on this road I travel once a week . Usually I had noticed doing all electric only on downhill grades and usually less than 30 mph. Have to see if my gas mileage increases :) Also at the dealership I had noticed (3) new Prius's but all were 2005's / no 2006's yet ?

3. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Received my letter yesterday and I am going to try and take it into the dealer on Saturday. I will post an update when I do.

4. mikis123

mikis123 Junior Member

I also got my letter yesterday. I called the dealership today and am going in on Saturday. One thing the dealer told me is that they have to work on it cold so it's going to be a couple hours. Don't know if that is true or not.

5. skijapan

skijapan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What is being recalled?

6. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't know why they would tell you they needed it cold, mikis123? The repairs are basically doing a reflash on the Engine and HV ECU's if needed. Also a connector on the front of the drive unit gets some grease to keep out moisture. The repair should take 1.5-2.0 hours if the tech already has the software update downloaded onto his Diagnostic tester(scan tool). If he needs to do that,allow another 30 minutes or so to the repair. I have done 2 already and it is not that hard for us hybrid techs, :)

7. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I bet they just mean they want the drivetrain to cool down before they stick their hands up in there to get at the connector. There is a lot of metallic mass to cool down.

8. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have not seen my letter yet. My car is in the range (of course basically ALL 2004's are) so I figured to have one by now. I better get it soon so I can get my Nav 'recall' CD done at the same time. I really don't want to go to the dealer any more often than absolutely necessary. :)

9. BatPrius

BatPrius Former 2005 Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I got my letter yesterday. I called a dealer and I have an appointment on Monday. I am a tad worried because the guy booking the appointment said I am the first they have done :eek:

10. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

I got the letter 2 days ago and called my dealer to schedule.

I tried to get it done when I did my oil change there and was told it takes about 3 hours.

Michael Polis
    2004 Pirus Pkg 9

11. Bigsk8r

Bigsk8r New Member

I took my Prius in today to have it done. Two hours and several websites via their Wi-Fi later, I got in it and drove home. Things I noticed:

1) The flash must have taken a looonnnggg time as the battery was on a single pink bar when I left.

2) It seemed to recharge very rapidly. Since I have only had it that low once before, it could just be my imagination.

3) It seemed to run just a little more on battery than usual, once it was charged back up. I will post again if I see anything more concrete over the weekend.

Have a good weekend all.

12. stevesol

stevesol Junior Member

I had mine done two days ago. So far, I haven't noticed any significant changes in mileage or engine on/off times.

13. sleeping_doc

sleeping_doc New Member

mine is a 2005, and I took it to Torrance Toyota in Torrance, California on Thursday Nov 3, 2005.
    And guess what?
    The service advisor told me that besides the recall glitch, there is another glitch and he had to order the computers which are on national backorders because of this additional glitch that Toyota didn't anticipate? I'll call on Monday to find out what happened to my car.
    Anyone knows any newspaper or TV reporters to report on this problem some of us are having?

14. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sounds as if the additional glitch is an incompetent technician who fried your car's computer in the process of updating the computer code.

15. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    During the reflash part of the recall,the Prius is in Ig-On. Having 2 reflashes to do on most of them takes a drain on a battery,especially if it is low to begin with. Each reflash is between 17 to over 20 minutes long. During the reflash,the tech needs to have the Prius battery charger hooked up. If the voltage drops to low,about 11.5 volts,the ECU can be damaged. As long as the tech is familiar with the process and knows to hook up the charger,there should be no problems.

16. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

I am still waiting on my letter. I tried to get the recall done in LA a couple weekends ago, but the dealership didn't have the grease to perform it. <_< I'm going to try again over the Thanksgiving holiday.

17. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Check out This Thread for an answer.