1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recall service photo essay and story

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Russell Frost, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Russell Frost

Russell Frost the whatdrives.us guy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just had my recal service performed and have pictures from it. If you're interested in seeing what they do, what they replace and how long it takes, stop by the POG and check it out...

Prius Owners Group recall service essay

Thanks!

2. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ice weasel @ Jun 26 2006, 09:50 AM) [snapback]276848[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, Russell, for that excellent documentation of your recall experience. Since we will be driving thru' Lancaster in September on our way to revisit the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
    in Reading ....and.....'cause we calculate by mileage at that time will be requiring a service for our Prius. Guess where we will have that done? :D . Just sent them an e-mail commenting on your post and congratulating their service department.
    Gary

3. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I really appreciate your article and the photos. I'm going in for the recall and this eases my mind. I will also ask that the dealer get my steering wheel straightened out a little. It has never been quite right even though an adjusted allignment was done a couple of months after I took delievery. It tracks straight and there is no strange tire wear, but having the wheel off to the right a couple of degrees just isn't good.

4. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Good work, thanks.

5. Russell Frost

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Canuck, make your sure you drop me a line before you come down. I'd love to hook up with you while you are in town. And if nothing else, make sure you, while you wait for your Prius, that you walk across the street from Lancaster Toyota to S. Clyde Weaver. It's a deli-bakery and one of the very best, if not the best, in Lancaster County. Get some awesome Amish baked goods for the ride home and have a nice lunch.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and thanks VERY much for taking the time to check out the essay.

6. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ice weasel @ Jun 26 2006, 12:47 PM) [snapback]276952[/snapback]</div>
    Your on, Russell, we will be in touch!
    all the best
    Gary

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    nice job- it's good to see another friendly dealer out there and that's some great info for anyone who's interested in how the recall goes.

we didn't think to take pictures of the install... glad you did :)

8. Russell Frost

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just wanted to stop in and say THANK YOU to everyone who visited and an extra vote of gratitude for those who took the time to email such kind words. I do appreciate it.

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Moving this excellent post to CM&T forum and making it sticky--at least for a few months.

10. kpauley

kpauley New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ice weasel @ Jun 26 2006, 12:50 PM) [snapback]276848[/snapback]</div>
    This was a very helpful post. I just had my recall done and I thought I was nuts that the steering wheel was now not straight, in a different position. I wasn't sure if they messed with the steering wheel alignment as part of the recall, and based on your execellent photos and description it is very obvious they do! Back to the dealer to get that fixed!

Ken

11. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm having my recall service done today. I called Monday to make sure they had the parts and called this morning to have them write on the order to make sure the steering wheel was straight when it service was finished. My dealer knows not to mess with Prius owners. We know our cars, in large part thanks to the posters on PriusChat.

12. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had mine done yesterday and my wheel is out of alignment. I went back to see if they could correct it and now its off toward the other side and worse. Now I have to bring it in monday so they can do their alignment procedure. :angry:

13. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the recall done today. It took just under two hours. The steering wheel is straight. The only thing that seemed really weird was the the outside temperature seemed way off when I got the car. It was reading at 74 degrees and I know it was close to or over 100 in the Valley today. It slowly increased as I drove on the freeway to West Los Angeles. Other than that, I am happy that it went well.

14. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

As far as the steering wheel position goes, they are fixing an original problem. Apparently the wheel from the factory was aligned in reference to the dash, which we all know is sloped downward going to the left. After the recall, the wheel is then straight in comparison to the shroud around the steering column.

Now if before the recall you had an alignment done and had the steering wheel center adjusted to correlate with the shroud rather than the dash, then after the recall the wheel would be too far towards the right.

Personally, I would have preferred the wheel inbetween the original and new position. But then, my perspective of level is skewed because of how my neck tilts my head, as is evident by some antenna wall plates I installed in my house.