1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recall work

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Britprius, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Booked my car in for the two recalls today. The work will be carried out on the 30 November, new pump and new steering shaft will be fitted, and courtesy car supplied FOC. Will let you know how things go.

ewxlt66 likes this.
  2. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Do you know if your steering shaft actually needs replaced? If you know that it actually does need replaced what are the symptoms you are seeing?

I ask because every know and then when I turn the wheel all the way left or all the way right especially at low speeds I get a "clunk" or almost a wobble feel from my steering wheel. It is almost as if a wheel bearing is bad or the wheel itself is slipping on the pavement, lol. The wheel bearing is good I have checked that and I don't have any noise or wobble at high speed.

Now that I read about this recall I think I have one of the steering shafts that is experiencing failure. I haven't had it in to Toyota yet to confirm but will run it in next week I am sure. In the interim I am just curious if anyone who KNOWS their steering shaft is bad can describe the symptoms.

Thanks,
    Chris

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The car displays no trouble symptoms at all but they are still changing the shaft. Your problem sounds like it could be trouble with the universal joint on the steering shaft so have it checked out.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you already recieve a notice? we haven't gotten one yet. my daughter has my old 08.

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No I just rang the dealers and they arranged for me to take the car in for the work.