1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Receiver Hitch Bike Rack

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by crystalmarlene, Feb 5, 2007.

1. crystalmarlene

crystalmarlene New Member

I am considering purchasing this tow receiver for my 07 Prius Touring so I can take my bike to the beach. Is anyone using this or have you seen one?

http://www.coastaletech.com/04hitch.htm

2. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Yup, easy install, well-made, works great with my Thule 4-bike rack.

3. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KTPhil @ Feb 5 2007, 04:35 PM) [snapback]385682[/snapback]</div>
    what KTPhil said. I have 2"-er from Coastal, same rack.

rpm

4. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Good point; I would definitely specify the 2" version; it has better stability from side-to-side tipping. I may use a luggage box made to fit a receiver for long trips and I'd sure feel better with the larger socket.

You can also get a kit to get a rear light connector to go with the hitch. It uses a standard (Camry?) kit which you modify by swapping pins. No wire cutting, and it's removable if you want to undo it. I don't remember if the link was here or on PriusOnLine.

Be forewarned, some have had communication problems with Coastal (and some have had no problems). Do a search of this site and POL and see what you think. They seem to ship fast on in-stock items, but have some trouble communicating on back-ordered items. Mine shipped right away and installed very easily with the instructions (including photos) they sent.

5. timm

timm Medical Transport Driver

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Here are some pics of my recent Coastal Hitch install. I beefed it up to handle towing my flat bottom riverboat by welding a cross member to make it into a "three point hitch". I'm waiting for my wiring kit to arrive; ordered the DrawTite #18308 for a Camry from www.etrailors.com as advised elsewhere on Priuschat.

I also have the EV kit from Coastal installed and I have had no problem with their service.

[attachmentid=6456]

Attached Files:

6. dspguy

dspguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have the coastal 2" hitch receiver as well. I had a little problem because I used a "swing away" type 4 bike carrier from Thule. It stuck out quite far from the car and with my 4 heavy bikes, it bent down a little bit and had ground clearance issues. My solution which worked great, was to drill an additional hole in the bike rack so it fit about 6" closer to the car. Now, no bottoming out or bending the hitch. If you have or get a bike rack that doesn't hang too far out you will be in great shape with the coastal receiver. Modifying the Thule one worked great in the end.

7. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I forgot which model it is, but I have a Thule rack for 4 bikes. I think it's called the XT or something like that. I find it odd that it doesn't have a pin that goes through both holes on the receiver as well as the rack piece. However, I'm not using just a simple pin. Instead, I'm using the bolt thing that comes with the lock (Thule) that comes with and covers the bolt thing. As far as I can tell, the bolt thing can only go on from the right (passenger) side of the hitch, where it screws into threads in the right side of the rack piece. Am I missing something, or is that just how it is? It seems to me that the rack would be more secure if the bolt thing went through all of it (if anyone knows what I'm trying to say (poorly) here).

rpm

8. dspguy

dspguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My Thule rack did the same thing, but since I had to drill a new hole to push the rack closer to the car, I just drilled a new hole all the way through. I use a plain pin which I got at Home Depot which has a bent end and an notch on the other end. It turns out that the thule lock fits the notched end. I think it is a little sturdier with the pin all the way through, but I think the standard way is ok too.

9. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I purchased a hitch from U-Haul about $100 installed, and use a rack from Coleman, $129, that holds two bikes by the wheels and with a hook over the top. Very secure. The rack hangs up and back quite a bit but I have not noticed any trouble with bending as some have mentioned with the CostalTech hitch. (I havce an 1 1/4" hitch)

I have also towed a 5x8 trailer with two sprot bikes from Vegas to LA and not noticed any bending. I don't know if the hitches are different but I do think that the U-Haul (also a Curt hitch I believe) has a shorter extension for the reciever from the cross-bar, thereby creating less tourqe. The only dnager is that the cross bar is in front of the exhaust pipe and you need to re-direct the pipe about two inches (easy with an extension) so as to not burn the body work.

10. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Search "Yakima Hitch Ski Rack" ...

11. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Feb 8 2007, 06:23 PM) [snapback]387223[/snapback]</div>
    The hitch that U-haul uses IS the Curt. And it most definitely has a shorter receiver tube that will be less bending. Also the exhaust problem has been solved, and any new hitch bought now would be the redesigned one.

http://evnut.com/prius_hitch.htm

12. Nda3rdCar

Nda3rdCar Junior Member

I purchased the Coastal 2" hitch and I am very happy with it. I use a two bike carrier made by Hollywood Racks, team rider model... which uses an angled section on the square tube that locks the rack in solidly, no clunking or swaying. Also, some bike racks hold the bikes nicely out of the way so the rear hatch can be opened easily. Someting I can't do on my VW Golf with a similar hitch. When you install... take time, read instructions and do it right. Use a bit of black rust-proofing paint on the bolts. Also, Uhaul makes a great little 2" black rubber plug for the hitch that matches the bumper skirt perfectly. Most people don't realize we have a hitch until I point it out to them. Good luck, good driving and good riding... love my bikes. B)

13. burns_fisher

burns_fisher Burns

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have the Prius Classic verson of Coastal's hitch (1.5 inch version) and I am happy with it. I have a Thule 4-bike rack, but have never actually used 4 bikes. It does sway a bit and the bike rack is very long.

One issue (and remember this is now 5 years old and I am in the NorthEast with lots of road salt) is that it started rusting pretty quickly. It is very heavy metal, though, so I don't think it is a strength problem yet. I putting lots of grease into the actual hitch, and it seems fine. I suppose I should paint it, but I have not yet.

BTW, I mentioned the rust to the Coastal folks and they were very nice about responding. They may have actually done something (galvanize??) to newer models for all I know, so don't take this as a negative vote.

14. dspguy

dspguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dspguy @ Feb 5 2007, 07:24 PM) [snapback]385756[/snapback]</div>
    Ok, maybe it didn't work great in the end. The coastal receiver broke on my trip this weekend. Bikes plus rack weighed about 170 pounds. See attached picture to see the broken receiver. :eek: [attachmentid=7624][attachmentid=7625]

Attached Files:

15. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(crystalmarlene @ Feb 5 2007, 02:25 PM) [snapback]385671[/snapback]</div>
    Here is a Curt hitch I have been looking at but it is 1 1/4" would like a 2" receiver though
    http://www.trailerhitches.com/trailer-hitc...&key=CTM963

Actually just ordered it 139.23 shipped

as I was looking around here have seen a few of the coastal's bending where-as the curt is a shorter receiver should not bend..
    will also add this s a great web site for information thanks

16. Nda3rdCar

Nda3rdCar Junior Member

:eek: I've had the Coastal 2" receiver hitch for about one year... It's good, but take time to really install it correctly. It's simple, just bolt that sucker in there solidly. Then put a little rust-proof paint on the bolts.

I found a rubber cap from U-haul for about $1.50. It looks nice and matches the bumper skirt. Most people don't realize our Black Prius even has a hitch, until I point it out.

I use a Hollywood (brand) 2-bike "Team Rider" model. The newer model is lighter weight and easier to use.

Expect to spend at least $150 and more for decent bike racks. Also, be carefull to remove things like bike pumps, so they won't fall off in transit, not to mention a danger to other drivers.

I especially like having a rear mount bike rack because I use underground parking. No fear of having the bike crunch garage ceilings, as is the case with roof mounts.

Best of luck.... Nda3rdCar

17. Don-RI

Don-RI Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Mar 10 2007, 09:14 PM) [snapback]403551[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Darrell,

I'm convinced! The Curtis Hitch is the way to go... I was reading that installing the re-designed Curt Hitch requires trimming the rear facia? Any idea on what it involves, and any photos?

Thanks!

18. Magnus1

Magnus1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Don-RI @ May 12 2007, 08:30 AM) [snapback]440513[/snapback]</div>
    i just installed my curt hitch on my 06 Prius, the install is great! basically you just remove the wind dam and the two tow hooks on the rear of the vehicle and pop the hitch up in place where the tow hooks were.. it took longer for me to gather all my tools than it actually did to put the hitch on!

the trimming of the wind dam is a breeze, there is a open slot where the tow hook shows through, all you have to do it follow the lines of the slot to elongate it.. i just used my chop saw to cut the wind dam.. worked perfectly.

now i just need to find the right bike rack for my 1 1/4" hitch...any suggestions??

19. mtskier

mtskier New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    i have a 1 1/4" receiver on an 2006 Prius for a bike rack. i have never heard on a Prius being able to have a 2" receiver. i would recommend the 2", as it is much more common.

P.S. this is a sick hitch bike rack http://www.backcountryracks.com/index.aspx...unted_bike_rack

i was curious what you tow and how it affects the performance and mileage.

now i just need to find the right bike rack for my 1 1/4" hitch...any suggestions??
    [/quote]

the Thule T2 is far and away the best hitch rack on the market.
    http://www.backcountryracks.com/index.aspx...unted_bike_rack

20. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member