1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Receiver/towing hitch for bicycle rack?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Leomania, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Leomania

Leomania New Member

Greetings,

I'd like to have a light-duty towing hitch installed on my 2005 Prius to use with a bicycle rack. Is there a recommended model?

I live on the S.F. Bay Area peninsula, and was recommended to a shop called "A Sports Rack" in San Carlos. Has anyone used them by chance?

There's no way I'm going to the local U-Haul to have one installed; they just don't strike me as particularly careful there.

Thanks,

- Leo

2. bobc

bobc New Member

3. Leomania

Leomania New Member

Hi Bob,

Any idea which receiver size is the one to go with for a bike rack? I haven't shopped for that item just yet, don't know if there's any choice.

Great site. I was glad to see the NAV enhancement kit; I hate that "I Agree" button.

Cheers,

- Leo

4. Leomania

Leomania New Member

Okay, answered my own question; seems like both sizes are readily available.

So let me abridge the question to this: is there any reason the smaller one (1 1/4 inch) is undesirable? Less stable?

I've never owned one of these before, so I have no idea if there's anything significant to worry about.

Thanks,

- Leo

5. bobc

bobc New Member

Hi Leo,

As for one receiver size over the other one:

If you ever want to buy and use one of those cargo hauler racks that Coastal Tech sells, it takes a 2" receiver.

Also, you have more choices of bike carriers if you go with the 2" receiver. More manufacturers offer them in 2" than in 1-1/4"

Cheers,
    -bob

6. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have the 1-1/4 on my Prius, only because my previous vehicle's factory hitch was that size. I've had no problems finding bike racks that fit...so I'd suggest shopping for the bike rack you want and then getting a hitch that matches.

I purchased the CoastalTech and it installed pretty easily. About an hour total time.

7. Leomania

Leomania New Member

Guys, I went to the coastaltech site and bought the hitch. At least I think I did; everything went as it seemed it should, but I've received no order confirmation via email nor has my direct email query been answered. Is this the norm in your experiences with them?

Thanks,

- Leo

8. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes, CoastalEtech has a VERY slow response time, but they are there! They have been serving the Prius community for a very long time and are highly regarded. Don't worry, you'll get your stuff, but be prepared to wait.