1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recent buyers: Toyota Finance Rates???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bill Lumbergh, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm about to call "shenanigans" on this, but I wanted your advice first.

I qualified for Tier 1 or Tier 2 Toyota Financing for my 2005 Prius. My salesman basically said Toyota would go along with whatever I wanted to do as far as vehicle purchased and down payment.

Because my dealer's "computer is down" (yeah right) they've been unable to give me a firm interest rate quote from Toyota Financial. When I first qualified for Toyota financing, I was told they couldn't quote me an interest rate until a VIN is assigned to my car (because it was being built). No other banks even asked for VINs. I suspect the dealer is trying to trap me into paying Toyota's rates by preventing me from adequately comparing other lender's rates. They can do this because I'm 4000 miles away and flying to pick up my car tomorrow. It's a little late in the game to be goofing around with this.

What interest rates are they offering? I got 5.35% from Capital one and 6.49% from Wells Fargo.

Details, 60 months, $5000 down, credit score 761.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think Capital One would be your best bet. We're paying over 8%, credit score at the time- March 17- was 729 (1 point below top tier) and we took a 6 month college-grad deferment with payments for 6 years.

We only took it for the $400 rebate and 6-month deferment. We're refinancing this fall when our payments start.

3. Bill Lumbergh

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Something suspicious about that, too........the dealer said they'd be unlikely to take a loan from Capital One because they had a problem receiving funds form them. "Because of excessive delays", they don't like dealing with them.

I'm giving the dealer an ultimatum tomorrow......either they give me a firm quote less than 1 hour after I call them tomorrow, or I'm putting a "stop payment" on my deposit check. Something's fishy.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah, I agree. That does sound kinda weird. I'd also be suspicious.

If I'm not mistaken, Capital one should give you a check for the loan amount and the dealer should be able to just cash the check like a regular check...

I'd call bull*** on this one if I were you.

5. NCPrius

NCPrius Junior Member

I bought in early July 2005.
    Credit union: 5.29%.
    Toyota's best rate: 4.75%.
    USAA: 5.24% ... but they matched the 4.75%.

My credit score is a little higher than yours.
    $4500 down, 60 months, no extended warranty.

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

You may be able to check with AAA. I got a great refinance rate with them as the broker.

7. Bill Lumbergh

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Alan Greenspan is killing me. Everything worked out fine and I used Toyota Financing. Interest rate was better than what my bank offered, but it's still higher than I qualified for through Capital one.

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

Bought 7/10/2005

Credit score in mid-700's, plus I'm self-employed. Wife's purse was stolen 1 week before purchase, the fraud alert we issued pulled up when at the dealer, a positive for Experian, TransUnion, Equifax....

36 month interest Capital One 5.05%, with .25% discount for auto-debit.

Toyota dealer 4.75%. Only got that rate cause I pulled out Capital One check. There was no autodebit discount from the Toyota dealer. NETBANK was the one to eventually get my loan, via the dealer. Rates had been rising in the 2 weeks since securing Capital One rate. Capital One would have been probably around 5.25% had I applied that day.

If the dealer is balking at Capital One, call foul and find a new dealer. Capital One well respected, dealer is playing games. I hate those finance guys, they can ruin the best rep that a dealer has, but in turn, they generate most of the profit. My next door neighbor is a Nissan dealer, they make him more than wealthy with their games.

9. helogirl

helogirl New Member

Local credit union pre-approved a 4.49% 100% financing for the Prius. Dealer said they could match or beat the rate, but it ended up I would need a large downpayment (didn't say that at first). I was very frustrated with the process. Good luck.

10. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Just bought mine on July 14th.
    Sovereign Bank gave me 5.59% for 6 yrs.
    Capital One was offering me 6.99% for 6 yrs.
    Local Credit Union offered me 4.20% for 5 yrs or 4.75 for 6, so I refinanced with them for 5 yrs.

11. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought last month and for fun I just asked for rates at the dealer. I had already been pre approved at my credit union for 4.45%. They came back with 8 % in 2 minutes. I told them that that was WAY too high and they immediately dropped to 5.15%. I just said that I'll use my credit union and they shrugged their shoulders and said ok.
    0 down and 60 months financing including the 1900$ Leather interior, the 600$ prepaid maintenance, 900$ extended warranty, and all applicable taxes and DMV charges.
    It's YOUR money and YOUR choice as to how to spend it. Don't let the dealer decide for you!
    Paul R. Haller

12. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Do you expect to get $600 worth of maintenance in the alloted timeframe/mileage? I really doubt it.

13. mark_hamrick

mark_hamrick New Member

We were just at Elway Toyota here in Denver over the weekend finalizing for our new Scion XB (keeping the Pri as if) and their rates had gone up the week before and are sitting at 7.45. We got 5.25 from USAA. Our salesdude said their rate was 6.65 the week before, so they made quite a jump... I'd say go with Capitol One...Toyota will be higher.