1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recently Purchased a Used 2006 Prius with 36k miles

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Leslieinla, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Leslieinla

Leslieinla New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a used 2006 prius with 36k miles. I definitely do not regret purchasing this vehicle and the savings in gas has been absolutely wonderful. Initially, I was worried because it was an older model car, but the previous owners hardly ever used the vehicle. Can all of you give me advice as to what mileage I need to bring the car in for a major tuneup? Also, I have heard that mpg does improve over time. Is this true or a myth? Any other advice would be much appreciated.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  3. J Moberly

J Moberly New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I just bought one too, I'm terrified I made a mistake! Bought one with 103k miles, hopefully you have better luck. I know I just got a bad egg from a shady seller :(

4. Leslieinla

Leslieinla New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yikes. That is not good at all. What year did you purchase? Also, what type of issues are you having at this time? I purchased my vehicle through carmax.

5. J Moberly

J Moberly New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    2007, the car loses 80%+ of it's power once battery is depleted to 1 bar, and can only maintain 45-50mph going uphill. Sounds like the main battery is at fault? Not sure, isn't this covered under the 150k miles / 8 year warranty in california? Hopefully that transfers from buyer to buyer.

6. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Leslie,
    It sounds like you got a great deal. Good luck with your car. I had an 06 and when I sold it, it had 112,000 miles and it was still going strong. I'm confident you will love it. Welcome to PriusChat.!! :)

As for what mileage the car needs a major tune up, probably about 120,000. That's the closest I can come up with. These cars require very little maintenance. The only service I would recommend beyond what your owner's manual says is change the transaxle fluid at 100,000 miles (others will recommend shorter intervals but that's what I recommend, Toyota does not require changing the transaxle fluid).

7. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    J,
    I suggest you bring the car to a dealer and have it checked out. If it is covered under warranty, the warranty is 10 yr/150k in CA not 8 yr. You should def be covered. If not, check back here, and tell us your exact symptoms including the trouble codes (from the dealer). We will def be able to advise you so you won't get taken. Whatever your problem may be, its not the end of the world. Just stick with it and it will eventually get ironed out.