1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recently swapped combination meter from 09 model to 05 model, no power brakes now!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by greasemonkey007, Oct 28, 2015.

1. greasemonkey007

greasemonkey007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently swapped the odometer (combination meter) from my 09 parts car to the 05 that I'm fixing up. I also swapped the motor, transaxle, all tie rods, the coolant control valve, and most all of the interior including the seats, carpet, dash, and all door panels. The 05 with 300 plus k was originally going to be the donor for the 09 with 85k, but the 09 was bent up pretty deep in the front so I used it to renew the 05 model. The 05's odometer was pegged at 299,999 and Toyota wanted $600 for a new one so I used the 09's. There was one number difference in the part #s.

Everything seems to be working normally in the drivetrain. However, now I have no power brakes and the "brake" light on the left side stays on as well as the (!), ABS, VSC, and now the check engine light. The seatbelt and door ajar lights go off as they should. The traction control light was staying on until I tightened a couple of loose ground wires in the engine area. The car does not have tire pressure sensors like the 09 does, so I don't know if I can turn off the tire pressure light or not.

Is it possible or even probable that the difference in the gauge clusters would cause the brake problem? According to a local salvage yard, only the 05 and early 06 gauge clusters interchange. Everything functioned normally before the swap except the check eng light was on with a P1121 code. That's why I changed the coolant control valve. At first the code was gone. It came back on today along with the CEL but I cleared it out. Not sure if it will come back on or not. I don't have the techinfo subscription yet. I thought about swapping the gauge clusters again to see if the lights went away, but it's not exactly a 5 minute job. Any thoughts or advise?

Attached Files:

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow talk about a project. The 04 and 05 clusters are different. But that shouldn't cause you to lose brakes. That function is not related to the cluster

3. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Have you read the fault codes? You do need Toyota hybrid capable scanner. If you want to do it yourself Techstream is the best and it’s very cheap.

4. greasemonkey007

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I've got the mini VCI with techstream. The P1121 is the only code that showed up.

5. greasemonkey007

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't think it would cause the power brakes not to work but I didn't know since the brakes can set off a light in the cluster.

6. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It just should not be possible for fault light to be on without fault code.

7. greasemonkey007

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree, but I had no codes after I cleared the P1121 out last night. Also, I couldn't find the tab on techstream to put the car in test mode. I've only done that once or twice and don't remember exactly how.

8. greasemonkey007

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I feel really silly and really blessed at the same time. After abandoning this car for a few days, I decided to pull the codes one more time and finally got an ABS code that pointed to the brake fluid level sensor. As soon as I wiggled it I realized that it was not plugged in good. Just a simple "click" was the solution. But when I tried to clear the codes, it didn't want to clear. I shut the car off and turned it back on. Then the code cleared, all the warning lights went out, and the gas gauge started reading correctly, which it hadn't done since swapping the cluster.

Now if I could just figure out how to turn off the tire pressure monitor light in this car that didn't come with that function.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    you can't turn it off, that's the difference in the 04-05 and 06-09 combination meters

10. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Cut the wire to the light, or go old school - electric tape!

11. greasemonkey007

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys. My 1st thought was to see if there was anything I could unplug or remove a bulb from. The thought has crossed my mind to see if I can change a wiring harness and any other necessary parts to make it work. I thought about fixing up the newly installed aux input that came with the 09 console as well. I think I may be able to change that wiring harness, not sure though.

12. 04 Prius

04 Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey all, dredging up an old thread here as there seems to be a lack of resources on this. Has anyone ever swapped a 2008 instrument cluster (combo-meter) with a 2005? I have a 2008 that was vandalized, the cluster was stolen out of it, I have a spare cluster in my 2005 donor, but I’m wondering if it will require a wiring modification to work or plug & play?

I have options, the car is currently torn down to the firewall inside, but I would prefer to keep the wiring as a 2008 to put the correct cluster in later. I have the correct MFD to use, so no worries there.

13. greasemonkey007

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You'll need to swap both panels in the cluster. The 05 has the ready light with the speedometer (combo meter). The 08 has it to the right in another panel. Just a few extra screws to take out. They are basically the same to swap out.

14. 04 Prius

04 Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good to know! I do plan to install the complete dash cap assembly from the ‘05, (instruments & airbag) as these were all removed from the ‘08.

15. violinguy

violinguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you succeed? I'm trying a similar thing, thanks

16. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Dash caps and all that stuff swap out It's just the combination meter is slightly different maybe if you change the ribbon cables and all of that from the '08 model to the '05 that might straighten everything out I didn't try that when I was doing mine I had plenty of '09 clusters if you will I had an 05 car here but I didn't need to use its cluster display.