1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recently traded in my Gen 2 Prius (250,000) miles for a Gen 3

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Christopher Lynch, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Christopher Lynch

Christopher Lynch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Unusually for me, rather than selling my car privately, I decided to trade in my somewhat high mileage Gen2 Prius (absolutely incredible car) for a younger, much lower mileage Gen 3 Prius. It just seemed the easiest, less hassle kinda route. In a way it was, got a reasonable deal on the old one, and drove a fairly hard deal etc. Obviously, as you know, 9/10 the dealer does OK. However, I just wanted to warn motorists here in the UK, particularly the South/S. West, as I was dealing with a Toyota dealership @ Waterlooville, nr Portsmouth (Snow Group, South/South West) beware!!!!!!!! in my experience they cut corners, and are the most 'penny pinching' concern that I have encountered in a long, long while. They even failed to address 2 outstanding 'recalls' on this vehicle (which they had serviced etc throughout it's entire existence). Fortunately, my excellent dealership @ Tunbridge Wells, Kent (part of the Motorline Group) highlighted this issue the moment I booked t in for a 'Vehicle Inspection'.

I'd be interested if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Aside from the above referred issues, I can say that so far the Gen 3 Prius is just as impressive as the old faithful Gen 2 but, as you know, with more bells-and-whistles, and may be a little better looking(?).

Happy Prius motoring, or as I like to say, "Welcome to Smart Eco Driving".

Regards

Christopher Lynch

bisco likes this.
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats on the upgrade! Glad you have a shop you like, too. My wife still loves her '07. I traded my '05 with about 150,000 miles back in December for a '13 Plug In Prius. It is a much better car, but there are a couple things I miss. One is that "secret" little drawer under the center console. I'm also not crazy about having the climate controls where I have to look so far away from the road. But it's quieter, faster, and gets WAY better mileage. The information and controls are a huge upgrade other than the climate control locations.

Have fun exploring your "new" vehicle.

romythequeen likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y) what year and model did you purchase?

4. Christopher Lynch

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Bisco,

Sorry for the delay. 2012 low mileage, vermillion red spirit.

Seems fine so far, but dissatisfied with the dealership that sold me the car as stated in my initial posting; fired a warning across their bows hopefully, by informing Toyota GB Head Office of their unprofessional antics etc.

I am awaiting a response from Toyota regarding this matter.

Just leaves a sour taste in your mouth when dealing with such a 'penny pinching', dare I say culture @ this particular dealership.

Regards

CJL

bisco likes this.
  5. Christopher Lynch

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five

6. Christopher Lynch

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Jerry,

Sorry for the delay in responding. Thanks.

Yes, I'm fairly happy with the Gen 3 Prius, not sure it gives a better mpg at this early stage, but hopeful all the same.

It almost has too many options on the 'Control Panel' (looks as though it was copied straight from early designs on the US Star Ship Enterprise's Bridge Control Desk) and, as you rightly point out some result in distracting you from safe driving etc.

I intend keeping it for 2-3 years then seek my 3rd Prius, and finally, if the price is right a used Tesla.

Regards

CJL

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Luv it! (y)

jerrymildred likes this.