1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recharging Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Harper, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Harper

Harper New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, here I was sitting Los Angeles traffic the other day. Stop and go traffic, but, mostly stop. I checked my battery charge and it had only TWO bars showing and they were both pinkish in color. Luckily, traffic picked up and my battery began to recgarge into the blue bar area. Whew. This leads me to my question(s). What would've happened if traffic hadn't picked up and the battery lost it's charge? Is it detrimental? And how can I avoid this from ever happening if in the same situation again?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The engine will just turn itself on if charging is necessary. No need to worry =)

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Yup, those 30 second ICE runs are weird. Also, as you get low on your SOC, ICE will be more likely to start at lower speeds, thus helping to keep the SOC from getting to the point that ICE HAS to run, even at a stop.

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Don't worry, the Prius is *way* too smart to allow anything bad to happen. Though we have to wonder at the logic sometimes.

Like how here in Winnipeg at -40 the battery is right to the top green and I'm freezing my b**** off. You wonder why they didn't take advantage of all that extra battery charge to keep me toasty warm. Yes, at -40 the battery is always fully topped off.

5. Harper

Harper New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great. So, it sounds like I have nothing to worry about then. Thanks everyone!!

6. Leafy

Leafy New Member

Had mine just over a week now, so still reading the manual and learning something new each day. Must admit though that I learn more from the forums than from the book.

From what I can make out, the battery will not be charged if the gear shift is in N, it has to be in P, D, or R. I'm sure somebody will let me know if I've got this wrong.

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That's right. You should also get a warning on the MFD about being in N too.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    and the red triangle of death :p

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Only if you open the door.

I have a question, as this could happen in a carwash. The carwash I go to told me they were instructed NOT to touch the power button, and have me leave it in 'READY' (actually I think they said 'ON' as in drivable). Then they would put it in N to send it through the washer.

Now, if the car sits in N too long, the SOC could go down to no bars. What happens then? Anyone have firsthand experience other than running out of gas? Does the car go to park and turn off? If so, will it go back to READY and start the ICE? I think this is what may have happened to them, as they couldn't get the car out of the washer. I thought it may have hung on Ig-On, but if they never touched the power button, that can't be.

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Righto on the door being open or closed. I checked.

I've never used one of those "valet" style car wash things, but I think you would have a problem. It would be fine if they'd power down the car, but they're instructed *not* to touch the power button.

I wonder why that is? Maybe they had a bad experience with a Prius?

The condo I live in has a car wash bay in the underground parking. Oddly enough, folks living here rarely use it, so I wash my car at least every 2 days.

The only issue I had was the power door locks doing a cycle when I was washing it. I learned to disable SKS before washing the car.

11. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Because they can never figure out how to power it up. If they leave it alone, they won't have to. People don't think to press the brake first. Soon though they'll have to do that with Lexus' as well.

When I had my dash armoralled, the lead guy instructed the 'detailer' not to touch anything. I think they are afraid of accidentally moving the joystick, and the car carrening into something. I assured him, it won't change gears if he doesn't press the brake.

I'll have to write them a letter, maybe offer to hold a brief teaching session one Saturday morning. They have had a few prius in there.