1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

recirculation air setting in cabin

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by whodat, Mar 4, 2008.

1. whodat

whodat Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There is a recirculation air setting for the interior (its the sideways U with the arrow) in the climate control panel.

I normally drive with the air setting in recirculation mode to avoid inhaling exhaust from cars in front.

I've noticed that recently the recirculation setting changes (without me changing it) to non-recirculation of air (i.e. getting air from the exterior).

Is this suppose to happen or does the closed vent flap open because of vibration or external air pressure?

Thanks
    Dave

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On my 2004, if the defrost is on when I turn the car off, the air source setting changes itself to external when I turn the car on again. Very annoying. Perhaps it does this in other circumstances also.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hunch the air conditioning (cooling, heating, defrosting...) system is just trying to be efficient. If the air outside is cooler, it will choose to bring some of that inside, rather than cooling the air that's already there. I much prefer mostly outside air, as it keeps me more alert on long trips.

4. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The A/C system tries to regulate humidity as well as temperature. It will bring outside air in to keep the humidity from building up, and to prevent the windows from frosting inside.

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    'Tries' being the operative word. Around here, the humidity is sometimes so high we need personal flotation devices to leave the house. Any idea if there's an external humidity sensor?