1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recommendations at 40K

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by aaf709, Aug 8, 2007.

1. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I just had my 40K service done at Kearny Mesa Toyota in San Diego. They made the following recommendations:
    1. Replace A/C Filter for $69.95
    2. EFI Service for $115.00
    3. Replace Drive Belt (slightly glazed) for $165.00
    I know that the EFI doesn't need to be done until 100K, and the A/C Filter replacement is partly due to where you live, but what about the drive belt? How long should that last? Has anyone had these done at about this mileage?

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can do the A/C filter for free by simply extracting it, and
    knocking all the accumulated crap off the top with your hand. Maybe
    give it a shot with a vacuum cleaner.
    Exactly what does an "efi service" involve, that you couldn't get
    by wiggling the injector/ignitor connectors and throwing a bottle
    of techron in your next tank?
    The drive belt will always be slightly glazed, because the backside
    of it is what actually powers the water pump.
    Chalk up one more chain duly pulled.
    _H*

3. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Drive belt for the water pump should go much further. Probably 100k miles.

The EFI service usually includes attaching injector cleaner directly to the fuel rail. It is much more effective at cleaning injectors than a bottle of techron in the tank. In addition, the EFI cleaner probably has water in it which will clean the carbon from the combustion cylinders. (At least I know that the 3M cleaner has water in it for that purpose).

Having said all that, it is difficult to know if your injectors are plugging up or the cylinders have carbon deposites. Most of todays quality brand gas has enough detergents to keep your injectors clean. Although not necessarily always.

If you decide to do the EFI service, find out exactly what they do and what brand of cleaner they use. The BG products as well as the 3M products are good. If it is just a bottle of stuff for the tank it is not worth the $115.

In summary, buy your own AC air filter at the parts counter and install it yourself (behind the glove box). Do the EFI cleaning if it worries you. Skip the drive belt replacement.

4. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Aug 8 2007, 12:29 PM) [snapback]492488[/snapback]</div>
    $70 for the A/C filter?

Look in your instruction manual, it takes about 5 minutes to remove. You can easily wash it using warm water and a drop or two of dishwasher detergent - it will be as good as new.

EFI - Electronic fuel injection? If so, then I don't understand what might need to be done. Maybe a bottle of Techron in the tank? 115 bucks is crazy for that.

Drive belt? The belt only drives one lightly loaded thing - the water pump. You shouldn't need a new one at 40k.

I recommend replacing your dealer.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    tech must be having a bad week. it is a slow business week over here too but DH doesn't go around suggesting big moneymakers for him and screwing people over in the process.

6. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here is a link to the 3M technical data sheet on their fuel injector cleaner product.

http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediawebserv...b&LCOrrrrQ-

I don't mean to beat this subject to death, but I want to point out that there is a big difference between putting a bottle of injector cleaner in your tank, and attaching a bottle of cleaner directly to the fuel rail. However, buyer beware, I would not put it past some mechanic to charge a $100 for injector cleaning and they just put a bottle of cleaner in the tank. Make sure you know what you are paying for.

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kohnen @ Aug 8 2007, 12:54 PM) [snapback]492580[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Aug 8 2007, 01:47 PM) [snapback]492609[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for all the replies. I was a bit suspicious and wanted to be sure. Heck, they recommended the EFI service at 30K. I went to another dealer for my 35K and they didn't try to upsale.