1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recommendations for a Cheap Reliable Pre-Owned Car?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by PriusRos, Sep 18, 2007.

1. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My daughter is in the market for her first car (she's no longer a teenager but only just got her license). Her father said he'd give her $5000 towards a used car. I could probably chip in a little more.

Anyway, bottom line is she lives in Colorado where they get snow. So she wants a 4WD or AWD (what's the difference, actually?), but also something that's fuel efficient.

Is there such a thing as an inexpensive, reliable, fuel-efficient 4WD? Any suggestions?

2. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Sep 18 2007, 09:19 AM) [snapback]514249[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know much about 4WD, 4X4, AWD, etc. I've never had much need for it. However, this information seems to answer the question. It is from wikipedia so while a good starting point I can't vouch for it's accuracy or validity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-wheel_drive

"The term four-wheel drive describes truck-like vehicles that require the driver to manually switch between two-wheel drive mode for streets and four-wheel drive mode for low traction conditions such as ice, mud, snow, slippery surfaces, or loose gravel. All-wheel drive (AWD) is often used to describe a "full time" 4WD that may be used on dry pavement without destroying the drivetrain (It should be noted that "Full-Time" 4WD can be disengaged and the center differential can be locked, essentially turning it into regular 4WD. On the other hand, AWD cannot be disengaged and the center differential cannot be locked.) [1][2], although the term may be abused when marketing a vehicle. AWD can be used on dry pavement because it employs the use of a center differential, which allows each tire to receive different amounts of power. This eliminates driveline binding, wheel hop and other driveline issues associated with the use of 4WD on dry pavement."

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Sep 18 2007, 09:19 AM) [snapback]514249[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm, those are some relative terms. What one person considers inexpensive, another is likely to consider way too much (although you do offer a starting point somewhere over $5k, I'm not sure how much you or your daughter were planning on contributing). What one person considers reliable enough, another might think has too many problems. How fuel efficient are you looking for? 10mpg is very fuel efficient compared to 4mpg.

Anyhow, the wikipedia link I included above includes a list of automobiles that are available with various forms of 4WD and AWD. It shouldn't be too difficult to find out which models fall into your price range (edmunds.com?, cars.com?). Once you do that, a little research (Consumer Reports? Internet searches? Discussions with a local mechanic?) should help you figure out which of those are more reliable.

Hopefully someone here at PriusChat will respond to you with more direct answers rather than just pointing you in a good direction, but in case they don't I hope this has been helpful.

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Sep 18 2007, 10:19 AM) [snapback]514249[/snapback]</div>
    You do want AWD as explained above. The Subaru line of cars are all AWD and their 4 cylinder models have reasonable gas mileage (My Legacy Outback averages about 24 MPG; Their smaller ones do a little better). These are reliable and safe cars that last a long time (my 1997 Outback has gone 208,000 miles with only a few problems). My only complaint is their tendency to leak a little oil on our garage floor.

JeffD

4. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny Hamilton @ Sep 18 2007, 11:12 AM) [snapback]514282[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the info on 4WD/AWD. Regarding fuel efficiency, since I drive a Prius, I would could consider anything below 40mpg or so a gas guzzler! But being realistic, I guess what I'm asking is whether there is something that drives okay in snow but can do at least over 20mpg.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jdenenberg @ Sep 18 2007, 11:29 AM) [snapback]514292[/snapback]</div>
    Great -- We'll definitely look into Subaru.
    Why do they leak oil?

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Here is a simpler, more direct description 4WD and AWD.

Now a few years ago I read an article in Popular Science/Mechanics where they compared an AWD w/ all-season tires to a FWD w/ snow tires on snowy and icy roads. The AWD had an edge, but only a small one. So, depending on what she actually needs for, if she has to gat into work no matter what, has the storage space for a second set of tires, etc. an AWD may not be a must.

6. HolyPotato

HolyPotato Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, to be a fly in the ointment, make sure you really do want AWD/4WD, if FWD might do (it opens up a lot more options, such as Toyotas and Hondas). If she lives in the country or somewhere where the roads aren't plowed, then AWD can help from getting stuck... but if she lives in the city and/or can afford to wait a bit after a dump before having to drive, then FWD may be a good choice. Especially for a new driver, where AWD (or "four wheel GO") can lead to a false sense of security in slippery conditions.

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i would also open up consideration to front-wheel drive rather than just 4wd or awd if she's in a city situation.

many a winter i would plug along in my fwd, awd/4wd cars flying by me, only to pass them 10 miles later as they sat in the ditch.

we drove DH's camry through a whiteout storm across the state of wisconsin one january and it made it just fine with a good driver and safe practice.

8. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've never had a 4WD vehicle in my life, and have survived. When the roads are really bad, I stay home, or walk to work. I second the notion of at least giving FrontWD serious consideration.

When you do that, you can add Civic to your list, and put it right at the top, with good fuel economy and excellent reliability and durability.

There are way too many SUV drivers who use snow as an excuse to drive gas hogs.

Harry

9. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do think that a Subaru would be a good choice for a new driver due to reliability and safety. But I'm going to agree that AWD really isn't necessary. I've been driving for the better part of a decade and spent most of it in New England and Upstate NY. My FWD and RWD cars have done great in the snow as long as the snow tires were on. In many cases I've been able to drive where many 4WD and AWD cars couldn't simply because they were running all-season tires and couldn't get traction. And remember that the drive train transmits the power, but the tires are responsible for the turning and the stopping (and also transmitting the power).

So I have two suggestions. 1) Have a look at older 4-cylinder Accords because they are safe, reliable, and reasonably efficient. (I'm biased...mine was a great car.) 2) Rather than kicking in the extra money for the car, ear-mark your share ($500-600 of it) toward that set of good snow tires mounted on their own wheels no matter what car she gets. That will go a VERY long way toward her safety.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Sep 18 2007, 07:19 AM) [snapback]514249[/snapback]</div>
    Part-time 4WD
    With a part-time system, you stay in two-wheel drive most of the time. You engage four-wheel drive manually, either by moving a separate gear lever or an electronic switch on the dashboard. That control is connected to a "transfer case," a secondary transmission that transfers power to one or both axles. When you're back on dry road, you have to disengage the system again.

Part-time systems essentially yoke together the front and rear axles. That provides excellent traction but isn't suitable for use on dry pavement: With the front and rear wheels unable to turn at different speeds, one or more tires will drag if you try to corner. That doesn't matter so much on dirt or snow, but on dry pavement, it can damage the tires and the driveline.

Low Range
    All part-time and some full-time systems have a "low range" position on the transfer-case selector. Low range provides very low speed gearing and high torque for the most dire conditions, such as deep mud, steep inclines, or when you're actually stuck.

Full-time 4WD
    Full-time four-wheel-drive systems can be used on any surface at any speed. They have either a third, center differential, or some equivalent mechanism, that allows the front and rear wheels to turn independently when you're cornering.

"Selectable" full time systems are like part-time systems, but more versatile. You can select between two-wheel drive and part-time and full-time four-wheel-drive modes. And you have low range available for off-road use. Full-time mode lets you travel at highway speeds on dry roads. Locking the center differential can give better traction than full-time mode in especialy difficult circumstances. A few do this automatically. Most make you press a button or select "4-High" on the transfer case.

We'd leave such a system in full-time four for all normal driving. It's safer, and our tests show no fuel-use penalty from doing so.

Permanant four-wheel drive may be the best of both worlds. The vehicle stays in four-wheel model at all times. In especially tough conditions the center differential mechanism locks and unlocks automatically as needed. And you can still select low range for off-roading or if you get stuck

All-Wheel Drive is used in sedans and minivans and some sports cars and SUVs. The system is active whenever you're in motion. You don't have to select anything.

With car-based all-wheel-drive systems such as those used in Subarus and the Toyota RAV4, most of the engine's power normally goes to the front wheels. Progressively more goes to the rear if the front starts losing grip. These systems are not intended for rugged off-roading. There's no low-range available, and besides, there may be too little ground clearance for off-road use.

11. Blue Hoosier

Blue Hoosier New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I had a Toyota RAV4 with AWD for many years. It is a very reliable car and good in snow. Any Toyota has excellent reliability ratings on Consumer Reports.

Good luck.

12. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blue Hoosier @ Sep 18 2007, 03:49 PM) [snapback]514480[/snapback]</div>
    I would second a RAV4. A friend of mine has a mid-1990s and it's been very reliable for him. I would choose Toyota over Subaru any day. Toyota used to make a 4WD Tercel wagon, but I think that was way back in the 1980s.

13. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks very much for all your definitions, input, and suggestions. It really is helpful. I have Consumer Reports, etc. but it's always nice to hear from people who've actually driven some of these things. BTW, I have never driven an AWD -- does it feel any different and is there anything one should do differently?

FWD with snow tires would no doubt be more economical in the long term, but I know she won't want to have to go and get them installed and uninstalled each time (not something I would want to have to do either). The past winter was brutal (nobody made it to her Winter graduation in Boulder -- except our luggage -- because all flights were canceled for days) and I think she got really show-shy.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Sep 18 2007, 02:18 PM) [snapback]514492[/snapback]</div>
    Nope. Just drive it like you normally would.

Have you tried the Nokian Hakkapellita WRs All-Weather Tyres? They're a very good substitute for all season tyres and supposedly have a 100,000km (60,000ish mile) warranty. It's the only "all-season" tyre to have Transport Canada's snowflake symbol (although I don't know the testing and what's the bare minimum requirements to get the symbol but all winter tyres must have that symbol).

15. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a RAV4 and it's a good thing. All wheel drive Celica will handle shallow snow but not sure about fuel consumption.
    I had a Tercel years ago and loved it, getting a bit long in the tooth now unfortunately. AWD Corolla wagon would be an economical used car with practical carrying capacity.

16. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Sep 18 2007, 04:18 PM) [snapback]514492[/snapback]</div>
    I think you are a little confused as to what one does with snow / winter tires. You don't change them every time it snows. At the beginning of the winter season in your area your daughter would change to the snow tires and leave them on all winter until spring. Our friends in Europe that live in snowy climates such as the Scandinavian countries and Germany make this a mandatory requirement. Most of them have a set of basic black steel wheels that the winter tires are mounted on. This is a very easy thing to do, it is really is as easy as changing a tire. You daughter could do this herself our have it done as part of the normal maintenance. The wheels come off every 5K miles for a tire rotation, so it would be easy to have the technician put the winter tires / wheels on.

I agree with others here that AWD is not necessary unless you live off paved roads or out in rural areas where it takes a long time for road crews to reach your area. Both my wife and I grew up in Michigan and managed just fine with 2wd vehicles even with just all-season tires. I had a FWD Cavalier and my wife had a RWD Ford Ranger.

For a vehicle I would recommend a late 90's to early 2000 Honda Accord with the 4 cylinder and a manual transmission. Very reliable, readably available, 4/5 star crash ratings and 25/30 mpg.

17. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhinton @ Sep 18 2007, 09:02 PM) [snapback]514582[/snapback]</div>
    I do realize you don't change them every time it snows. But, unlike getting a tire rotation, you have four extra wheels to store and then haul over to the shop to get changed. Daughter change them herself? Yeah, right! :p

Thanks for the recommendation.

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Sep 18 2007, 05:12 PM) [snapback]514561[/snapback]</div>
    Our AWD Corolla wagon is called the Matrix 4WD (in base and XR trim). Too bad you lose power going from FWD to 4WD.

19. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, I'm out here in Boulder helping her look.

I think prices here are much higher than Washington, DC area. We are looking for something around $7000 - one can't find much in Honda or Toyota in that price range. We saw a Corolla but it was very dirty and it was in WHITE, which she really doesn't like. I know, color shouldn't matter that much, but there's no point getting something you hate. I think if she saw something which was really clean but white, that would have been different. BTW, everybody here drives Subarus -- but of course, they are something else she hates. And they are also expensive here because everybody's looking for one.

She really loves the Audi -- she has a couple of friends who have these cars and they love them. She has driven her friend's Audi stationwagon and likes the way it drives. We saw an Audi A4 sedan yesterday --it was 1996 and 150K miles -- really up in age and miles but it seemed to be in pristine condition. It was in a very pretty dark blue. Looked at the Carfax report and there were no major damage reported.

Here's the rub. Consumer Reports has these cars on their Cars to Avoid list! Of course, she knows that, but keeps insisting that all the people she's talked to -- one with a much older Audi -- don't have any problems.

I also didn't realize that dealers don't give ANY warranty at all on used cars here -- unless it's under 100K and less than 7 years old. Then, you might be able to purchase one. I thought at least they would provide a 30-day or 90-day guarantee. I would hate her to drive it off the lot and have to deal with a major repair!

We are going to keep looking. But I'm wondering if it would be really stupid to buy a car which is on the CR Avoid list -- even if I were able to get it for a really good price (my thinking is, if I could get it for $1500 or so less than they're asking, that would at least leave some contingency money for repairs if necessary).

What are your thoughts on this?

20. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    the only time front wheel drive has been beneficial to me in the snow has been for getting unstuck in the driveway. Otherwise I leave it in 2WD because it eats more gas in 4WD mode.