1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recommendations for aftermarket rear suspension…

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PNorth, Feb 9, 2024.

1. PNorth

PNorth Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    One of the coils broke on our 2007 Prius… does anyone have any recommendation of a good aftermarket option for the rear suspension kit?

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I installed this on one of my 2006s that had 350k+ miles. Nothing special, just a daily driver. Have had no problems in over 2? years.

This is for all 4 corners, but Rock Auto has many other low priced choices also.

More Information for FCS KIT27226741 (rockauto.com)

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes junkyard grab a strut assembly and stick it in your cars corner that needs it or buy a set of four if that's what you need or a set of two want to lift it a little I look at the matrix or the vibe struts and shocks The all wheel drive one matrix or vibe might give you good lift.

4. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I went with KYB Strut plus and did all four. Did this on both our Prii. no issues

Tombukt2 likes this.
  5. qmanqman

qmanqman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Did it make your ride more stiff?

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The KYB stuff generally will firm your ride up a very little bit not enough to be any kind of jarring in any kind of way generally speaking they generally do pretty good work as do some of the other popular names and suspension from Asia I mean when we're talking front struts here there's not really a whole lot going on so it's mostly just marketing hype and adjustability if you're looking for that sort of thing to be able to adjust the valving and all that but most people are just happy driving the car they're not looking to tweak their suspension for every ounce of cornering ability in this model of car so you may not notice it other than your springs or in shocks or sagging and flat as the case may be so putting on new you're going to notice a big difference not necessarily firmer but your car adjusting to the road better the best way I can describe it.

7. PNorth

PNorth Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Is doing the front much more complicated than the rears?

Tombukt2 likes this.
  8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I would have to say no other than when you do the front or any strut you need to make sure you tap the strut or the hub assembly to the strut to seat it all the way in That's your default position when you loosen the bolts on the hub and it pops forward that's not how you want to put it back but other than that and removal of the tie rods for your steering the front is not much more complicated than the rear You're alignment should hold if when you bolt the hub to the front strut or the hub to any strut you push in on the hub here at clunk and lock into place and you're done

9. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Front are just different a bit more work but not to bad

10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm getting ready to have the matrix sport four-wheel drive all wheel drive looking car the one that sits up I'm going to have this whole suspension sitting here shortly and I'm going to attempt to put it on a Prius a generation 2 it should all bolt up instant lift kit or it'll be as high as the vibe matrix XR4 or whatever it's called.