1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recommendations for Audio Overhaul (non-JBL)?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ~sparky~, May 29, 2005.

1. ~sparky~

~sparky~ New Member

i'm considering an overhaul of my new, non-JBL system to make it a lot more crisp & punchy... i want to keep the head unit to preserve functionality to steering wheel & touch screen.

any feedback / ideas appreciated on:

1. recommended amp - i've heard good things about alpine, but have no idea which model
    2. recommended sub to install in the cargo hold - i've heard very +++ things about the kenwood ksc-sw1, but can't find anyone here in the phoenix area who carries it... and am also considering a custom-built box.
    3. recommended front speakers - i'm thinking infiniti 6.5" component
    4. recommended back speakers - i'm thinking infiniti 6.5"

also, anyone know of good installers in the phoenix area?

thanks! :)

2. DanH

DanH New Member

You might also consider a powered Bazooka sub. There's been a couple of threads about them. I've got a used 8" one I hope to install soon.

I'm also curious about the Infinity speakers as they seem they could add some improvement without laying out major cash. In particular I wonder if the Infinity tweeters sound smoother than the OEM ones.

3. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If CC does not have it, they should be able to order it for you. Or you can go to Cruthcfield and get it and then either self install or go to a professional.

4. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Anybody know what the specs are for the front-door tweeter/woofer, and the rear-door tweeter/woofer?

I haven't seen the numbers in the manual, toyota website, or other places if of what size: 6x9?, how many "ways" cones, wattage, etc etc.

5. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScubaX\";p=\"93746)</div>
    Crutchfield has always been known to be overpriced, however.

Looking through Google, which picks Epinion or PriceGrabber , it seems that Etronics is the best place to buy it from.

6. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was only using Crutchfield as an example of how he could get one.

7. ~sparky~

~sparky~ New Member

thanks for the recommendations...

i visited best buy, circuit city & one of our local car audio shops here. looked at a fantastic package of alpine amp & boston acoustics speakers (6.5" components in front and 6.5" regular in back), but NO ONE seems to carry, or be willing to order, the kenwood ksc-sw1 mini subwoofer around here. :cussing:

so i ended up leaving w/o anything and ordered the sub thru ebay last night... we'll see how everything sounds with that installed, and go from there.

if anyone knows the colors of the speaker wires coming out of the rear door jamb for a non-jbl system, that would be mucho helpful. please post!

thanks again.

8. Rowan

Rowan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do a search, Danman32 has given all the write/colors for both the JBL and non JBL systems.

9. bobc

bobc New Member

I've upgraded my base system. I kept the OEM head unit and put in a JL 4300 amp to power Boston Acoustics (SL60's) in the front doors and (SL 65's) in the rear doors. The SL 60's are component speakers in that they have separate tweeters. I replaced all the OEM speakers with these. These are all 6.5" speakers.

FYI, the holes in the door are round and bigger than 6.5" I can't quite remember, but 7" sounds about right. With the BA speakers, the adaptor rings included were used to make up the difference between the 6.5" speakers and the 7" hole. There's a lot of depth in the door for speakers. The limiting factor is the diameter of the back end of the speakers. If they are too large, when the window is lowered, it will hit them.

This post has the OEM speaker specs. Look for htmlspinnr's post:

http://priuschat.com/forums/well-ive-f-ed-...html?highlight=

As for the sound quality, it improved markedly over the OEM system. But, after throwing $1100 into these upgrades, I'm not particularly happy with it. The highs are slurry and there's no mids. And, when I listened to Aerometer's OEM JBL system, we both agreed that his sounds better.

Read what GAGendel wrote in this post:

http://priuschat.com/forums/well-ive-f-ed-...html?highlight=

I'm going to try to improve the system by throwing more money at it and adding a subwoofer as suggested by others. It's on hold right now as I'm going to try my hand at fiberglasing an enclosure and the weather has been to wet for fiberglasing. With all the rain we're having, I've been spending all my time designing an amphibious system for my Prius.

Cheers,

10. ~sparky~

~sparky~ New Member

much appreciated, bobc!!! thanks for the diagram and the advice.

after much deliberation, and visits to circ city, best buy and a few locals, i decided to buy everything on ebay and take it in for installation. i've ordered:

- alpine mrp-f240 amplifier
    - kenwood ksc-sw1 mini-subwoofer (to put in the 'cargo hold' area)
    - infinity kappa 60.7 CS 6.5" component speakers for front
    - infinity kappa 60.5 6.5" speakers for back

i am keeping the head-end unit to preserve steering wheel and touch screen functionality.

i've contemplated trying to install myself, but i think i'll leave it to the pros. any idea what i should expect as an installation price? (i will also need an amp kit, wiring, etc.)

thanks again for all the advice.