1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recommendations for brand/type of new pads

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Michael Ely, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Michael Ely

Michael Ely New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi everyone I bought a 2012 V a month ago. I took it into the dealer for a safety recall, and they told me I have 2mm on the front pads. I work on my own cars as much as possible so I will buy the pads and put them on myself, and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a brand and store they bought them from? I will check on the price of Toyota pads but it is unlikely I will go that route, I have avoided parts and service from dealers like the plague all of my life. As far as pads it's been my experience that there are always numerous non-manufacturer brands that are equivalent to OEM.

2. lrisius

lrisius Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    How many miles are on your current pads? Generally, I am hearing most people get around 100k out of a set of pads because most braking is done by the regenerative system. Given that lifespan, I will probably just go with Toyota pads.

If you haven't already done so, google for info about doing the brake pads, there are some special procedures you will need to follow. I think there are some good videos on this site.

3. Michael Ely

Michael Ely New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I bought the car a month ago and I don't know the history of the brake maintenance, it has 185K on it so I would guess the pads have been changed once or perhaps twice. But as I said the dealer told me 2mm remaining, so I will change them pretty soon. You're right about the point about pad longevity; dealer pads are about $100 as opposed to $25 to $80 aftermarket. I might go with the Toyota pads for this. However what I was hoping to find is if anyone had any information on: If the Toyota stock pads are pure ceramic, and also if anyone has had experience with aftermarket non-ceramic pads.

Ceramic pads are all right, they make very little dust, last a long time, cause less wear on the rotor, and are less likely to make noise. But pads with metallic and/or organic material in them are better in one very important respect: they have a little bit better stopping power, especially in colder weather. Personally I would rather have messier pads that have to be replaced more often than have to deal with a smashed front end and deployed airbags because I couldn't stop quite as fast as I needed to one time.