1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recommendations for reducing road noise?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by eugenelin, Apr 11, 2006.

1. eugenelin

eugenelin New Member

First of all, thanks to everyone on this forum for providing so much useful information to us Prius newbies!

I'm looking for some comparisons on how much road noise is reduced by adding Dynamat versus replacing the tires. Based on the awesome post here, I got Dynamat installed in my doors, which reduced noise but not as much as I had hoped. <_<

Having come from a Lexus GS (where my leather jacket rustling was the loudest thing in the car), I actually consider the Prius to be pretty darn loud in terms of road noise (I admit I'm overly sensitive to road noise). I just got a 2006 Prius Package #8 (Barcelona Red) about three weeks ago and otherwise love it.

It looks like the ComforTreads are the recommended tires for quiet, but I'm wondering whether that would do more to reduce road noise than adding Dynamat to the floor. Can any of you provide some relative comparison of the noise reduction?

-Euge

2. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I had goodyear touring tires on mine and it was quiet not totally but darn close... I replaced with a H rated tire and boy am I sorry road noise from hell.... I swear at 50 mph I think im driving a 86 4x4 bronco with mudders. woooooooooooooooooo.

I would really like to find a raised white letter tire for mine....

3. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I use Michelin MXV4+ tires and Bquiet in the doors. I used both dampening and insulation barriers. Car is as quiet as my friend's $40000 Volvo. Still not quite down to Lexus levels I expect but I am very happy with the noise level now.

4. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

I went the Comfortred route. I bought new GY Comfortreds for $400 installed and sold my OEM Integrity tires for $100 on Craigs list. Not only is the road noise lower, the ride is very much improved, even at the 40/38 inflation pressure I favor. It's the second best mod I've made to my car -- right behind the BT tech brace.

5. prius2006rocks

prius2006rocks New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This isn't a recommendation, but I just test drove an 06' Prius the other day and the road noise seemed very low to me. Obviously people are all different. I am coming from a Chevy Blazer (horrible mileage) so that is probably why I notice how much quieter it was. :)

6. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have both a Lexus and a Prius, and no the Prius is not nearly as quiet as the Lexus but a lot of the noise you're experiencing is in the tires. We replaced ours with Michelin MXV4s (same as I have on the Lexus) and it made a HUGE difference in the noise. I suspect Dynamatting would be even moreso but you'll have to deal with the potential for introducing rattles by removing most of the interior components. I'm much happier with the Prius' noise levels with the new tires.

7. prius2006rocks

prius2006rocks New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oh I see so switching from the stock tires to those really helped then. Nice to know. Thanks!
    :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Apr 11 2006, 08:01 PM) [snapback]238383[/snapback]</div>

8. acousticbiker

acousticbiker New Member

I've got ComforTreds but I put them on immediately so I can't compare with Integrities. I find the road noise to be fairly loud, though, on many roads. I'd be interested in any feedback regarding sound reducing materials. This is probably the only thing I'm not fully satisfied with regarding my '06 package 8 (would have also appreciated auto headlights and built in XM for an otherwise technologically advanced car)

9. eugenelin

eugenelin New Member

Thanks for the feedback so far. It's difficult to compare noise without something like a sound meter to provide a baseline. Maybe it's time for me to invest in one... :)

-Euge

10. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My suggestion would be to start with the tires and see what that does. I've not experienced the Comfortreads but I've never had a set of Goodyear tires I was happy with, and I've never had a set of Michelin tires I wasn't happy with so my suggestion is the MXV4s.The Goodyears that are on the car suck, so the benefit will be there regardless of whether you do the dynamatting after that. If the tires don't do it for you, then try the Dynamatting.

11. priusblue

priusblue New Member

Hmm compared to my MT '95 accord the prius is super quiet! :D

12. dipper

dipper Senior Member

My s2000 is much louder for freeway cruising. My solution? 50 cents and I am done.

Just put on earplugs and be done with it... ;)

13. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Apr 12 2006, 08:53 PM) [snapback]238824[/snapback]</div>
    SW03E, do you have snow in your area? I was wondering if the MXV4s work well as an all-season tire?

Thanks,
    Tom

14. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the integrities are crap anyway, tires are responsible for a lot of road noise, i'd make the switch to a new set of tires.

15. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Apr 12 2006, 09:03 PM) [snapback]238834[/snapback]</div>
    We do have some snow, usually 2-3 6+ inch snows per year. They're better than the Integrities, but they're not stellar as a snow tire. Their claim to fame is that they are ultra low rolling resistance tires and they are very quiet.

Michelin has a new version of the MXV4s out, the MXV4 S8 that is supposed to have better snow traction.

16. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Apr 12 2006, 09:26 PM) [snapback]238846[/snapback]</div>
    Any MPG change?